Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: blocking spies altogether?

Re: blocking spies altogether?

miss calm

"Zermut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:18:19 +0100, "miss calm" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> scribbled the following:
>
> >Hi Peeps,
> >If I used a firewall would that mean that I would not need to use adaware

or
> >spybot?
> >Marketscore and other trackers deposit programs in my pc everyday and I
> >wonder how I could prevent them getting in the first place rather than
> >having to run adaware every day?
> >Thanks.

> Well that would be a bit of a problem. The firewalls do stop the spies
> from calling home to inform the companies that are spying on you about
> your habits which are none of their business. But any program you
> install can have spyware built in. Your only way is to tell those
> companies to screw off and dump the programs that had the spyware
> built in.
>
> I had to do that myself. It slowed my computer down and caused it to
> crash. I still have to use Adaware and Spybot to sniff the spies out.
>
> Zermut

Thanks Zermut,
Yes many Downloaders like Gozilla, companies like 'Gamespy' and free offers
of download accelerators like 'Marketscore' are to be watched out for.
I am now looking into buying a comprehensive system like Norton which
deals - hope, with security as well as AV and System fixing and cleaning
utilities. I want one which fixes problems like .dll issues as well.