Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No 80 Conductor Cable Installed?

No 80 Conductor Cable Installed?

ripper

Why do I get this message when I boot up my pc. I have two HDD's connected
master/slave.
I have also seen the same message on a single HDD.

Unk

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 20:46:10 +0100, "ripper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why do I get this message when I boot up my pc. I have two HDD's connected
>master/slave.
>I have also seen the same message on a single HDD.

Bios message: Primary IDE Channel - No 80 Conductor Installed

It means you're still using the 40 conductor cable from the MB IDE to the
hard drive. The 80 Conductor Cables are used to take advantage of the newer
Ultra/ATA-66 and up IDE drives. (They will still work with the 40
conductor cable, just slower.)

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...Cable80-c.html

In addition, make sure you put the correct connectors on the 80 wire cable
in the correct spots. Blue plug to mobo, black to primary, grey to slave.

Unk

philo

"ripper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8%cYa.53108$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Why do I get this message when I boot up my pc. I have two HDD's connected
> master/slave.
> I have also seen the same message on a single HDD.

hard to beleive but you are prob getting that because you are using a 40
conductor ide cable on your harddrive rather than an 80 conductor.

the 80 conductor cable will give better performance.
(it's got two fine wires per connection)

ripper

Thanks for the replies. I will get an 80 conductor cable.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ripper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8%cYa.53108$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > Why do I get this message when I boot up my pc. I have two HDD's

connected
> > master/slave.
> > I have also seen the same message on a single HDD.

> hard to beleive but you are prob getting that because you are using a 40
> conductor ide cable on your harddrive rather than an 80 conductor.
>
> the 80 conductor cable will give better performance.
> (it's got two fine wires per connection)

CodeWarrioR10 CodeWarrioR10 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo
"ripper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8%cYa.53108$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Why do I get this message when I boot up my pc. I have two HDD's connected
> master/slave.
> I have also seen the same message on a single HDD.

hard to beleive but you are prob getting that because you are using a 40
conductor ide cable on your harddrive rather than an 80 conductor.

the 80 conductor cable will give better performance.
(it's got two fine wires per connection)

Actually the motherboard doesn't detect the IDE HARD DRIVE BECAUSE it may be old compared to the motherboard so what you must do is to go the mobo setup and enable the : delay ide detector ).