Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 'Standby' no longer available

'Standby' no longer available

Just Me

Hello
I have a P4 Gateway Laptop running XP Pro. I used to be able to have my
computer go on standby when I closed the lid, but now the option is no
longer available. Also, when I click 'start'... 'Turn off computer' I get
the 3 options: Standby, Restart, and Shutdown, but Standby cannot be
clicked. It is sorta faded out. When I go into the power options, I can
choose any of the presets, but they no longer have standby as an option for
closing the lid or pressing the power button.

Any ideas why? btw...I am the only user set up on the computer, and I have
administrator status.

Thanks in advance

°Mike°

Make sure you have Advanced Power Management installed,
and there are no conflicts in Device Manager.

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:00:05 GMT, in
<VecYa.32620$(E-Mail Removed)>
Just Me scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Unknown

It's a BIOS setting.
"Just Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jZdYa.32672$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I checked for conflicts and none were found. What do you mean by Advanced
> Power Management? Do you mean the advanced tab on my power options? If

so,
> I have it but see no options for standby.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Make sure you have Advanced Power Management installed,
> > and there are no conflicts in Device Manager.
> >

> > On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:00:05 GMT, in
> > <VecYa.32620$(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Just Me scrawled:
> >
> > >Hello
> > >I have a P4 Gateway Laptop running XP Pro. I used to be able to have

my
> > >computer go on standby when I closed the lid, but now the option is no
> > >longer available. Also, when I click 'start'... 'Turn off computer' I

> get
> > >the 3 options: Standby, Restart, and Shutdown, but Standby cannot be
> > >clicked. It is sorta faded out. When I go into the power options, I

can
> > >choose any of the presets, but they no longer have standby as an option

> for
> > >closing the lid or pressing the power button.
> > >
> > >Any ideas why? btw...I am the only user set up on the computer, and I

> have
> > >administrator status.
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance
> > >

> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance

boy wonder

Just Me wrote:
> I checked for conflicts and none were found. What do you mean by
> Advanced Power Management? Do you mean the advanced tab on my power
> options? If so, I have it but see no options for standby.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Make sure you have Advanced Power Management installed,
>> and there are no conflicts in Device Manager.
>>

>> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:00:05 GMT, in
>> <VecYa.32620$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Just Me scrawled:
>>
>>> Hello
>>> I have a P4 Gateway Laptop running XP Pro. I used to be able to
>>> have my computer go on standby when I closed the lid, but now the
>>> option is no longer available. Also, when I click 'start'... 'Turn
>>> off computer' I get the 3 options: Standby, Restart, and Shutdown,
>>> but Standby cannot be clicked. It is sorta faded out. When I go
>>> into the power options, I can choose any of the presets, but they
>>> no longer have standby as an option for closing the lid or pressing
>>> the power button.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why? btw...I am the only user set up on the computer,
>>> and I have administrator status.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Under system devices, in device mgr, I have "advanced config and power mgt".
it's a device. There's no "?" mark or "X" or "!" next to it. That means it's
OK. Control Panel also has a "pwr mgt" applet. Use it. Under advanced, you
can select "standby" or "shutdown". That's a possibility.

--
the abominable toner
http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/