Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Desktop Icons Problem

Desktop Icons Problem

ECLiPSE 2002

Using Win XP Home ed.

Several of my desktop shortcut icons have changed back to generic
forms rather than the specific program icons.

For example my icons for many internet shortcuts have gone back to the
Microsoft icon for Internet Explorer rather than the programs original
icon.
Can someone tell me what has caused this and how I can restore the
shortcut icons that were created by the program or application?

I have gone to these program directories and created new desktop
shortcuts from the .exe file but desktop still uses the generic icon.
Thanks for any assistance.

Frank

Sharon F

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:50:41 GMT, ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:

> Using Win XP Home ed.
>
> Several of my desktop shortcut icons have changed back to generic
> forms rather than the specific program icons.
>

> For example my icons for many internet shortcuts have gone back to the
> Microsoft icon for Internet Explorer rather than the programs original
> icon.
> Can someone tell me what has caused this and how I can restore the
> shortcut icons that were created by the program or application?
>
> I have gone to these program directories and created new desktop
> shortcuts from the .exe file but desktop still uses the generic icon.
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> Frank

Special icons for website shortcuts are small image files named favicon
stored in the Temporary Internet Files folders. The icon will remain as
long as the corresponding file is in the browser's cache. Empty the cache
and it reverts to the IE shortcut icon.

You can grab these favicon files out of the Temporary Internet Files
folder. Rename them in a manner that helps you remember which one is for
which site. Drop them into a folder on your hard drive - somewhere besided
Temporary Internet Files. Then use the Properties> Change Icon of the
individual internet shortcut to select the saved icon.

There are third party programs available that simplify the above steps but
the end results are the same: renaming and relocating the icons and then
assigning them to the shortcut for the site.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP/ Windows XP - Shell/User

Unk

Run TweakUI and use the "Rebuild Icons" tool
on the "Repair" tab. Tweakui Version 1.33.0.0
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati...ys/Networking/
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../NTTweakUI.asp

Unk

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:50:41 GMT, ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Using Win XP Home ed.
>
>Several of my desktop shortcut icons have changed back to generic
>forms rather than the specific program icons.
>

>For example my icons for many internet shortcuts have gone back to the
>Microsoft icon for Internet Explorer rather than the programs original
>icon.
>Can someone tell me what has caused this and how I can restore the
>shortcut icons that were created by the program or application?
>
>I have gone to these program directories and created new desktop
>shortcuts from the .exe file but desktop still uses the generic icon.
>Thanks for any assistance.
>
>Frank

Unk

For the repair of the executable program icons (whatever.exe), run TweakUI
and use the "Rebuild Icons" tool on the "Repair" tab.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati...ys/Networking/
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../NTTweakUI.asp

The internet shortcut icons are a different story. It's called a "favicon"
It's usually stored in the root directory of the website you visit.
Because it's on the website and not your computer, when you go offline,
or clear the cache files (C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files),
you lose the icon and it reverts back to the Windows default.
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/favicon.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/A...ortcutIcon.asp
A Google search for "favicon" http://tinyurl.com/3qvj (almost 60,000 hits!)

Now for the fun part. Because it's stored in the root directory of the
website, it's usually stored with the default name of "favicon.ico"
So, to grab Google's icon, send yourself an email with the web address and
icon name. Example: http://www.google.com/favicon.ico
(I mention Google only because they have one and it's there)
When you get the email, right-click the link and "Save target as..."
to your hard drive. When you look at the icon you just saved, if it's not
the actual icon, but the Windows flag default (and bigger than about 2k)
it's probably an html file (look at it with notepad). It says something like
"requested page not found" (Oops, out of luck!)

Now to get to your original question: Once you saved the icon to a folder,
rename it to match the website, (Google.ico), right-click the Google website
desktop shortcut, select "Properties", click "Change Icon", and "Browse"
to where you saved the icon. Now, the icon will NEVER change.

How to Create a favicon.ico
http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/favicon.shtml

Unk

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:50:41 GMT, ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Using Win XP Home ed.
>
>Several of my desktop shortcut icons have changed back to generic
>forms rather than the specific program icons.
>

>For example my icons for many internet shortcuts have gone back to the
>Microsoft icon for Internet Explorer rather than the programs original
>icon.
>Can someone tell me what has caused this and how I can restore the
>shortcut icons that were created by the program or application?
>
>I have gone to these program directories and created new desktop
>shortcuts from the .exe file but desktop still uses the generic icon.
>Thanks for any assistance.
>
>Frank

Frank

Thanks to the responders - your help is appreciated

Frank