Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cable Modem : Stretch the cat5 or coax?

Cable Modem : Stretch the cat5 or coax?

Scott H

I'm getting a cable internet connection this weekend and have about 50
feet between the coax connection and the computer. Connection and
speed wise, would it be better to:

1. Hook the cable modem up next to the coax jack and stretch 50 feet
of cat5 to the computer

2. Stretch 50 feet of coax to the cable modem, which is right by the
computer.

3. Doesn't make a difference speed/connection wise either way

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I don't know if it makes a
difference, but the 50 feet includes a couple of corners to turn, its
not straight across or anything like that.

Thanks,
-Scott H.

BlueDog2

The Cable Person/Installer, should run you a new drop ! This should include
an appropriate "splitter",outside the dwelling - then routed to the nearest
access point - to connect to your PC. 90% of the installers I have had to
deal with -- didn`t have a clue. This procedure eliminates any
"interference", that the Tube/TV can stand (Inside Walls/with Cable Parallel
to AC voltage) - but the PC can`t/don`t like.Don`t let em give you the crap
about "shielding" either.
"Scott H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm getting a cable internet connection this weekend and have about 50
> feet between the coax connection and the computer. Connection and
> speed wise, would it be better to:
>
> 1. Hook the cable modem up next to the coax jack and stretch 50 feet
> of cat5 to the computer
>
> 2. Stretch 50 feet of coax to the cable modem, which is right by the
> computer.
>
> 3. Doesn't make a difference speed/connection wise either way
>

> Any suggestions would be very helpful. I don't know if it makes a
> difference, but the 50 feet includes a couple of corners to turn, its
> not straight across or anything like that.
>
> Thanks,
> -Scott H.

why?

On 4 Aug 2003 13:13:03 -0700, Scott H wrote:

>I'm getting a cable internet connection this weekend and have about 50
>feet between the coax connection and the computer. Connection and
>speed wise, would it be better to:
>
>1. Hook the cable modem up next to the coax jack and stretch 50 feet
>of cat5 to the computer

You can't stretch CAT5 it tends to not work.

>2. Stretch 50 feet of coax to the cable modem, which is right by the
>computer.

Ditto.

>3. Doesn't make a difference speed/connection wise either way

Should not, I have a 20' of coax and upto 10m of UTP. The CAT5 routes
better where as the slightly stiffer coax needs tacked down with cable
clips.

>Any suggestions would be very helpful. I don't know if it makes a
>difference, but the 50 feet includes a couple of corners to turn, its

As long as you don't have any sharp bends in either type of cable it
should be fine.

>not straight across or anything like that.

Ask the installer to supply some extra cable, coax or buy a premade 50'
length of CAT5.

Try going under a floor / or over roof / attic to make it easier then
several corners, watch for trip hazards and don't run it under a carpet
/ across doorways with out some protection as walking on it could lead
to problems later on.
Me

Scott H

Unfortunately I'm in an apartment and would have to go through getting
approval and what not before putting new holes in the walls, so I'd
rather run cable (whether it be coax or cat5) rather than getting a
new jack installed in the other room. Just wondering if it made a
difference which kind I ran.

"BlueDog2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> The Cable Person/Installer, should run you a new drop ! This should include
> an appropriate "splitter",outside the dwelling - then routed to the nearest
> access point - to connect to your PC. 90% of the installers I have had to
> deal with -- didn`t have a clue. This procedure eliminates any
> "interference", that the Tube/TV can stand (Inside Walls/with Cable Parallel
> to AC voltage) - but the PC can`t/don`t like.Don`t let em give you the crap
> about "shielding" either.
> "Scott H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I'm getting a cable internet connection this weekend and have about 50
> > feet between the coax connection and the computer. Connection and
> > speed wise, would it be better to:
> >
> > 1. Hook the cable modem up next to the coax jack and stretch 50 feet
> > of cat5 to the computer
> >
> > 2. Stretch 50 feet of coax to the cable modem, which is right by the
> > computer.
> >
> > 3. Doesn't make a difference speed/connection wise either way
> >

> > Any suggestions would be very helpful. I don't know if it makes a
> > difference, but the 50 feet includes a couple of corners to turn, its
> > not straight across or anything like that.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Scott H.

Ryan Jarrett

"Scott H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Unfortunately I'm in an apartment and would have to go through getting
> approval and what not before putting new holes in the walls, so I'd
> rather run cable (whether it be coax or cat5) rather than getting a
> new jack installed in the other room. Just wondering if it made a
> difference which kind I ran.
>
> "BlueDog2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > The Cable Person/Installer, should run you a new drop ! This should

include
> > an appropriate "splitter",outside the dwelling - then routed to the

nearest
> > access point - to connect to your PC. 90% of the installers I have had

> > deal with -- didn`t have a clue. This procedure eliminates any
> > "interference", that the Tube/TV can stand (Inside Walls/with Cable

Parallel
> > to AC voltage) - but the PC can`t/don`t like.Don`t let em give you the

crap
> > about "shielding" either.
> > "Scott H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I'm getting a cable internet connection this weekend and have about 50
> > > feet between the coax connection and the computer. Connection and
> > > speed wise, would it be better to:
> > >
> > > 1. Hook the cable modem up next to the coax jack and stretch 50 feet
> > > of cat5 to the computer
> > >
> > > 2. Stretch 50 feet of coax to the cable modem, which is right by the
> > > computer.
> > >
> > > 3. Doesn't make a difference speed/connection wise either way
> > >

> > > Any suggestions would be very helpful. I don't know if it makes a
> > > difference, but the 50 feet includes a couple of corners to turn, its
> > > not straight across or anything like that.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -Scott H.

Not entirely sure what hardware you're using, and what kind of cash you're
prepared to spend, but small router and wireless lan access setup could
eliminate cables. Sorry if this doesn't help much, but it is an
alternative. Wireless runs at 11Mbps so it would not inhibit internet
access speeds.

BlueDog2

I`d probably swing towards "routing the coax" internally,as opposed to the
equivalent length of cat 5. Reason being - the cable installer should
provide & test the coax. Plus,having your cable modem that far away from the
PC - makes it hard to troubleshoot.if you have a problem ! So, If I had your
choices - # 2

"Scott H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Unfortunately I'm in an apartment and would have to go through getting
> approval and what not before putting new holes in the walls, so I'd
> rather run cable (whether it be coax or cat5) rather than getting a
> new jack installed in the other room. Just wondering if it made a
> difference which kind I ran.
>
> "BlueDog2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > The Cable Person/Installer, should run you a new drop ! This should

include
> > an appropriate "splitter",outside the dwelling - then routed to the

nearest
> > access point - to connect to your PC. 90% of the installers I have had

> > deal with -- didn`t have a clue. This procedure eliminates any
> > "interference", that the Tube/TV can stand (Inside Walls/with Cable

Parallel
> > to AC voltage) - but the PC can`t/don`t like.Don`t let em give you the

crap
> > about "shielding" either.
> > "Scott H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I'm getting a cable internet connection this weekend and have about 50
> > > feet between the coax connection and the computer. Connection and
> > > speed wise, would it be better to:
> > >
> > > 1. Hook the cable modem up next to the coax jack and stretch 50 feet
> > > of cat5 to the computer
> > >
> > > 2. Stretch 50 feet of coax to the cable modem, which is right by the
> > > computer.
> > >
> > > 3. Doesn't make a difference speed/connection wise either way
> > >

> > > Any suggestions would be very helpful. I don't know if it makes a
> > > difference, but the 50 feet includes a couple of corners to turn, its
> > > not straight across or anything like that.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -Scott H.

John Hudson

Coaxial is cheaper on you to let them run and you will not notice any
"speed" difference with the extra corners that you may have as stated you
would want to have the modem close at hand for issues that are to be seen.
but the modems and the connection software they have in place are self
upgrading and need very little upkeep on your part