Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Networking checklist for XP

Networking checklist for XP

Slamadatan

Can anyone point me to a checklist for setting up a basic network connection
between 2 pcs in XP?

I've got a PC which I connect to the net via an ADSL modem which connects to
a NIC. I assumed that I could just use that nic to run some CAT 5
(non-crossover) to a hub and onto a 2nd PC to share files. However, I can't
see each PC from the other one, even though network connection lights are
on, on the hub, and I've run through the setup home network wizard on WinXP.
Where do I go to check that file sharing is enabled, and any other potential
problems?

Osprey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.wown.com/
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
>

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:55:46 +1000, in
> <3f2de75e$0$23608$(E-Mail Removed) >
> Slamadatan scrawled:
>
> >Can anyone point me to a checklist for setting up a basic network

connection
> >between 2 pcs in XP?
> >
> >I've got a PC which I connect to the net via an ADSL modem which connects

> >a NIC. I assumed that I could just use that nic to run some CAT 5
> >(non-crossover) to a hub and onto a 2nd PC to share files. However, I

can't
> >see each PC from the other one, even though network connection lights are
> >on, on the hub, and I've run through the setup home network wizard on

WinXP.
> >Where do I go to check that file sharing is enabled, and any other

potential
> >problems?
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Where's the Info on that link to his problem? I can't see one, unless I've
missed it!

°Mike°

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:05:54 +0100, in
<bgl0l3$oni$(E-Mail Removed)>
Osprey scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.wown.com/
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

<snip>

>Where's the Info on that link to his problem? I can't see one, unless I've
>missed it!

Which link?

--
Basic computer maintenance

Tom

Hey Slamadatan,

It is better if you were to use a router instead of a modem. The router
comes with easy to
follow instruction on how to configure it.

But, if you do not wish to purchase the router. Then you can use a (cross
over cable) and connect to the
computer nic card directly. Set up the computer that is connected to the
DSL for (Internet Sharing)

Good Luck

Tom
"Slamadatan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f2de75e$0$23608$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> Can anyone point me to a checklist for setting up a basic network

connection
> between 2 pcs in XP?
>
> I've got a PC which I connect to the net via an ADSL modem which connects

> a NIC. I assumed that I could just use that nic to run some CAT 5
> (non-crossover) to a hub and onto a 2nd PC to share files. However, I

can't
> see each PC from the other one, even though network connection lights are
> on, on the hub, and I've run through the setup home network wizard on

WinXP.
> Where do I go to check that file sharing is enabled, and any other

potential
> problems?

Osprey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:05:54 +0100, in
> <bgl0l3$oni$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Osprey scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> http://www.wown.com/
> >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
> >>

> <snip>
>
> >Where's the Info on that link to his problem? I can't see one, unless

I've
> >missed it!

> Which link?

Sorry missed them saw your sig though! Top posted missed 'em, I'm used to B
Posts

Tom Terry

Go to My computer and use Search to look for Computers or people and
designate the name you gave for the other PC...it may take a few seconds
but it should work. XP loses other PC's on the network occasionally for
no reason.

°Mike° wrote:
> http://www.wown.com/
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
>

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:55:46 +1000, in
> <3f2de75e$0$23608$(E-Mail Removed) >
> Slamadatan scrawled:
>

>>Can anyone point me to a checklist for setting up a basic network connection
>>between 2 pcs in XP?
>>
>>I've got a PC which I connect to the net via an ADSL modem which connects to
>>a NIC. I assumed that I could just use that nic to run some CAT 5
>>(non-crossover) to a hub and onto a 2nd PC to share files. However, I can't
>>see each PC from the other one, even though network connection lights are
>>on, on the hub, and I've run through the setup home network wizard on WinXP.
>>Where do I go to check that file sharing is enabled, and any other potential
>>problems?

Steve Knight

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 00:10:22 -0700, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey Slamadatan,
>
>It is better if you were to use a router instead of a modem. The router
>comes with easy to
>follow instruction on how to configure it.

I agree a router really makes it easy. just make sure you have the same name for
the network run the network setup wizard and your done.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

°Mike°

Why would I want to do that?

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:11:42 GMT, in
<iYsXa.245002$(E-Mail Removed) m>
Tom Terry scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Looking for input on Reformat Checklist JM Computer Information 3 01-23-2006 09:45 AM
Please review and comment the audit checklist for a firewall Doug Fox Computer Security 5 11-28-2005 07:48 PM
how can i insert <br> between the items in the checkList ? roni ASP .Net 2 07-17-2005 10:13 AM
tix checklist nidhi Python 0 07-17-2004 10:35 AM
Openmore checklist sean VHDL 2 01-11-2004 10:30 PM

Advertisments