Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DDR and SDRAM

DDR and SDRAM

Me-GT

Hi Group
Anyone know if the new DDR memory sticks fit into the old standard SDRAM
slots in older machines? I was thinking it would be a good way of improving
a machine with a MoBo with only two slots...

TIA

MGT

paul s

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 08:45:09 +0100, Me-GT wrote:

> Hi Group
> Anyone know if the new DDR memory sticks fit into the old standard SDRAM
> slots in older machines? I was thinking it would be a good way of improving
> a machine with a MoBo with only two slots...

Nope they won't fit. A different type of slot is used.

--
Paul S
- Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude -

Jarhead

"Me-GT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgiec7$e8q$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi Group
| Anyone know if the new DDR memory sticks fit into the old standard SDRAM
| slots in older machines? I was thinking it would be a good way of
improving
| a machine with a MoBo with only two slots...
|
| TIA
|
| MGT

Your chip set has to support DDR too. probably why they won't fit into the
slots--

Jarhead

Cuzman

"Me-GT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgiec7$e8q$(E-Mail Removed)...

" Anyone know if the new DDR memory sticks fit into the old standard SDRAM
slots in older machines? I was thinking it would be a good way of improving
a machine with a MoBo with only two slots..."

Standard SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM have a different number of pins (168 and 184
respectively), and they also have a different number of plates on the
connection side (3 and 2 respectively). If you want some simple but
effective upgrades for your system without changing the MoBo or CPU, then it
is best to look into the following:

1) Find out what MoBo you have (
http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html ), and identify whether it
takes PC100 or PC133 SDRAM (clock speeds), and also what the maximum amount
of SDRAM the MoBo will accept altogether ( check manufacturers website or
http://www.motherboards.org/ once you know what model it is).

Your MoBo may accept PC133 as well as PC100, and if so it would be best to
use two equal sticks of PC133 SDRAM, as mixing SDRAM manufacturers, sizes
and clock speeds can cause some strange and unexplainable incompatibility
issues. It doesn't always happen, but you're safer with two sticks that are
the same.

If you mix the two clock speeds, then the PC133 stick should be able to
"clock down" to PC100 so that both sticks can run in-line with each other at
PC100, but a PC100 stick will not "clock up" to PC133. However, this isn't
the wisest thing to do because many cheaper un-branded SDRAM sticks won't
clock down, causing those aforementioned incompatibility issues. You are
always better off using two equal sticks of branded SDRAM.

2) Increase the cooling in your case with products like the ones featured
here: http://www.hardcorecooling.com/

3) Get a better graphics card with better capabilities and more memory than
your current one. It will lighten the load on the other system resources
(CPU and SDRAM), as well as many other advanced capabilities depending on
the card you get. If you have on-board graphics on your MoBo then it
probably isn't very powerful. Check the spec of it at the MoBo
manufacturer's website, and whether the MoBo has an AGP slot and the speed
of it (AGP2x, AGP4x or AGP8x) to find a compatible card. If you don't have
an AGP slot, then a powerful PCI card may do the trick.

If you're on a tight budget for everything, then http://www.ebay.co.uk has
some good bargains for SDRAM at http://tinyurl.com/iwkr

Me-GT

Thanks for that comprehensive reply, Cuzman, I'll see what I can do - I
already have Aida32 loaded, so I'll investigate further into the MoBo spec
as you recommend....

Mick
"Cuzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgjf7m$p5d63$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Me-GT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bgiec7$e8q$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> " Anyone know if the new DDR memory sticks fit into the old standard SDRAM
> slots in older machines? I was thinking it would be a good way of

improving
> a machine with a MoBo with only two slots..."
>

> Standard SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM have a different number of pins (168 and 184
> respectively), and they also have a different number of plates on the
> connection side (3 and 2 respectively). If you want some simple but
> effective upgrades for your system without changing the MoBo or CPU, then

it
> is best to look into the following:
>
> 1) Find out what MoBo you have (
> http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html ), and identify whether it
> takes PC100 or PC133 SDRAM (clock speeds), and also what the maximum

amount
> of SDRAM the MoBo will accept altogether ( check manufacturers website or
> http://www.motherboards.org/ once you know what model it is).
>
> Your MoBo may accept PC133 as well as PC100, and if so it would be best to
> use two equal sticks of PC133 SDRAM, as mixing SDRAM manufacturers, sizes
> and clock speeds can cause some strange and unexplainable incompatibility
> issues. It doesn't always happen, but you're safer with two sticks that

are
> the same.
>
> If you mix the two clock speeds, then the PC133 stick should be able to
> "clock down" to PC100 so that both sticks can run in-line with each other

at
> PC100, but a PC100 stick will not "clock up" to PC133. However, this

isn't
> the wisest thing to do because many cheaper un-branded SDRAM sticks won't
> clock down, causing those aforementioned incompatibility issues. You are
> always better off using two equal sticks of branded SDRAM.
>
> 2) Increase the cooling in your case with products like the ones featured
> here: http://www.hardcorecooling.com/
>
> 3) Get a better graphics card with better capabilities and more memory

than
> your current one. It will lighten the load on the other system resources
> (CPU and SDRAM), as well as many other advanced capabilities depending on
> the card you get. If you have on-board graphics on your MoBo then it
> probably isn't very powerful. Check the spec of it at the MoBo
> manufacturer's website, and whether the MoBo has an AGP slot and the speed
> of it (AGP2x, AGP4x or AGP8x) to find a compatible card. If you don't

have
> an AGP slot, then a powerful PCI card may do the trick.
>

> If you're on a tight budget for everything, then http://www.ebay.co.uk has
> some good bargains for SDRAM at http://tinyurl.com/iwkr

Adding DDR Ram with SDRam Mikester71 Computer Support 5 10-27-2005 05:41 AM
DDR SDRAM Controller bxbxb3 VHDL 11 02-01-2005 08:10 PM
Refresh rate in DDR-SDRAM Raghavendra VHDL 0 01-06-2005 09:19 AM
DDR SDRAM ALuPin VHDL 6 09-03-2004 05:34 AM
DDR/SDR-SDRAM Bank Switching Doubt Abdul K Shaik VHDL 1 08-09-2003 01:31 PM

Advertisments