Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No player plays

No player plays

Bill Schowengerdt

Hi,

Win XP...I was listening to a winamp stream and stopped it to go to a
MediaPlayer stream. But when Media Player loaded, it said it connected,
then buffered, and says it is playing normally. However, no sound is
coming out of my headphones.

So I tried several other players. Still no sound. The connection shows
the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows sounds.

I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.

I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

Michael

In <news:(E-Mail Removed) >,
Bill Schowengerdt said:

> Hi,
>
> Win XP...I was listening to a winamp stream and stopped it to go to a
> MediaPlayer stream. But when Media Player loaded, it said it
> connected, then buffered, and says it is playing normally. However,
> no sound is coming out of my headphones.
>
> So I tried several other players. Still no sound. The connection shows
> the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows sounds.
>
> I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.
>
> I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

Is "wave audio" (or whatever) muted in your machine's Windows or
soundcard-proprietary mixer?

((U))

Bill Schowengerdt

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:31:19 -0500, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, Bill Schowengerdt <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>Hi,
>
>Win XP...I was listening to a winamp stream and stopped it to go to a
>MediaPlayer stream. But when Media Player loaded, it said it connected,
>then buffered, and says it is playing normally. However, no sound is
>coming out of my headphones.
>
>So I tried several other players. Still no sound. The connection shows
>the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows sounds.
>
>I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.
>
>I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

I forgot to add that CDs play fine.

Bill Schowengerdt

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:18:23 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:31:19 -0500, While I was using pressure to stop
>> the bleeding, Bill Schowengerdt <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>> .
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Win XP...I was listening to a winamp stream and stopped it to go to a
>>> MediaPlayer stream. But when Media Player loaded, it said it
>>> connected, then buffered, and says it is playing normally. However,
>>> no sound is coming out of my headphones.
>>>
>>> So I tried several other players. Still no sound. The connection
>>> shows the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows
>>> sounds.
>>>
>>> I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.
>>>
>>> I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

>> I forgot to add that CDs play fine.

> Does WMP (or any others) play files that have been downloaded? Is
>the problem *only* with streaming media?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.

>What kind of files will/won't play?
>-

Or determine that.

>"How about files that are in your Temporary Internet files?"

Or that. But they sure sound like good questions that might provide
illumination.

Bill Schowengerdt

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:51:12 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
bleeding, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..

>>> Does WMP (or any others) play files that have been downloaded? Is
>>> the problem *only* with streaming media?

>> Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.

>Does your puter make its accustomed sounds when it boots or when it
>encounters errors?

Yes

>If so, your mp3 codecs are functional, since most Windows system sounds are
>mp3-compressed.

>>> What kind of files will/won't play?

Aren't most streaming songs mp3? They won't play. However, I also just
started to useJet Audio to play the BBC streams. I cannot recal what
thier extensions are but it is Real Audio's format. it will not play
either.

>> Or determine that.

>What are the filename extensions of the files that don't play? (eg. mp3,
>wma, wav... )
>

>>> "How about files that are in your Temporary Internet files?"

>> Or that. But they sure sound like good questions that might provide
>> illumination.

>I'm not going there. Just forget it.
>
>((U))

Bill Schowengerdt

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:25:01 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:18:23 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
>> the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

><snip>
>
>>> Does WMP (or any others) play files that have been downloaded? Is
>>> the problem *only* with streaming media?

>> Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.
>>
>>> What kind of files will/won't play?
>>> -

>> Or determine that.
>>
>>> "How about files that are in your Temporary Internet files?"

>> Or that. But they sure sound like good questions that might provide
>> illumination.

> Okay; fair enough.
>A bit more to chew than I'm going to bite off right now then; but I'll
>come back to it, if you don't get an answer.
> For now, how about a bit of homework for you. It would probably be a
>good idea if you opened Windows Explorer, and clicked on View > Folder
>Options > File Types tab.
> Scroll down the the list, check the icons, seeing what kind of files
>are associated with each player. Highlighting an entry will show the
>file extension, and what opens it (in the lower box).
> Some familiarity with these will probably go a ways to get you where
>you're going.

Since it is almost 3:00 am, i must seek my bed. But, i will do as yoou
suggested tomorrow.

Also... someone suggested (via email) that I go to control box and find
the multimeadia icon, and click on it to look at the multimedia contorls.

I tried, but there is no multimedia icon in control box. Should there be
one in XP?

Paul - xxx

Bill Schowengerdt tried to scribble ...

> Also... someone suggested (via email) that I go to control box and
> find the multimeadia icon, and click on it to look at the multimedia
> contorls.
>
> I tried, but there is no multimedia icon in control box. Should there
> be one in XP?

It may be called 'Sounds and Audio Devices' ..

--
.............................Paul - xxx
http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

Bill Schowengerdt

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:25:01 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:18:23 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
>> the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

><snip>
>
>>> Does WMP (or any others) play files that have been downloaded? Is
>>> the problem *only* with streaming media?

>> Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.
>>
>>> What kind of files will/won't play?
>>> -

>> Or determine that.
>>
>>> "How about files that are in your Temporary Internet files?"

>> Or that. But they sure sound like good questions that might provide
>> illumination.

> Okay; fair enough.
>A bit more to chew than I'm going to bite off right now then; but I'll
>come back to it, if you don't get an answer.
> For now, how about a bit of homework for you. It would probably be a
>good idea if you opened Windows Explorer, and clicked on View > Folder
>Options > File Types tab.
> Scroll down the the list, check the icons, seeing what kind of files
>are associated with each player. Highlighting an entry will show the
>file extension, and what opens it (in the lower box).
> Some familiarity with these will probably go a ways to get you where
>you're going.

Morning has broken and the first thing (after taking the 17 medications)
I did was as you instructed. I saw noting I recognized as incorrect. For
example, MP3 is associated with Jet Audio which I know works because it
plays CDs.

Nhuong Maysam

Bill Schowengerdt wrote:

> For example, MP3 is associated with Jet Audio which I
> know works because it plays CDs.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Monsignor Larville Jones MD

Bill Schowengerdt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Aren't most streaming songs mp3? They won't play. However, I also just
>started to useJet Audio to play the BBC streams.

Good, isn't it, Biil? ;o)

--
zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...