Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What no camera.

What no camera.

Frank Clement-Lorford

Help - brains are frying. I recently been given a s/h digital camera (canon
powershot s40) complete with software. This software use to work on this
computer - which was also given to me - however the original operating
system has been cleaned off (windows 9 to be replaced by windows 98se. On
twain had a virus - Troj-desniff. I then went to canon's website and
downloaded the twain driver for the camera and received the same virus
message.

I then removed the virus protector - Penicillin. Loaded the software then
connected the camera to the computer via usb port. Although the camera
turned on. the dedicated programme would not recognize the camera. The
system recognized the camera but no driver, even when I typed in path to
were it could be found.

I then went back to Canon's website and download the dedicated twain driver
for the camera. Again, the system recognized the camera as a 'plug and play'
but, would not recognise the driver, even when I directed it to a new
location.

I then tried a generic software to see if that would recognize the camera.
That did not recognize the camera neither, although it recognized my scanner
which was not plugged in, as I use various 'plug & play' therefore use the
same port.

After all of this, I checked the usb port with another devise, which worked.
I know the camera and usb lead work because I saw them being used on a
different computer yesterday.

In looking through the troubleshooting section of the software's Manuel
about camera not being recognized. it says I might need to acquire "built
in USB interface on a system preinstalled with winows98 windowsMe windows
2000." Would the fact that the computer has been reformatted and Windows
98SE replaced the preinstalled edition have some thing to do with my
problems.

I am completely stumped what to do next - I would be very grateful for any
advice,

Regards

Frank

Children begin by loving their parents, after a time they judge them
rarely, if ever, do they forgive them. Oscar Wilde (1854-1900).

Mara

Frank Clement-Lorford wrote:
> Help - brains are frying.

Underpants might help.

paul s

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:40:23 +0100, Frank Clement-Lorford wrote:

> Help - brains are frying. I recently been given a s/h digital camera
> (canon powershot s40) complete with software. This software use to work on
> this computer - which was also given to me - however the original
> operating system has been cleaned off (windows 9 to be replaced by
> windows 98se. On loading the software on I received an error message
> telling me that the twain had a virus

'the twain had a virus', now this is what happens when you put Jonathan
Ross 'Woss' in charge of RailTrack.

> - Troj-desniff. I then went to
> canon's website and downloaded the twain driver for the camera and
> received the same virus message.
>
> I then removed the virus protector - Penicillin. Loaded the software
> then connected the camera to the computer via usb port. Although the
> camera turned on. the dedicated programme would not recognize the
> camera. The system recognized the camera but no driver, even when I
> typed in path to were it could be found.
>
> I then went back to Canon's website and download the dedicated twain
> driver

'twain driver' yup Elmer Fudd now works for Virgin Trains.

> for the camera. Again, the system recognized the camera as a
> 'plug and play' but, would not recognise the driver, even when I
> directed it to a new location.
>
> I then tried a generic software to see if that would recognize the
> camera. That did not recognize the camera neither, although it
> recognized my scanner which was not plugged in, as I use various 'plug &
> play' therefore use the same port.
>
> After all of this, I checked the usb port with another devise, which
> worked. I know the camera and usb lead work because I saw them being
> used on a different computer yesterday.
>
> In looking through the troubleshooting section of the software's Manuel
> about camera not being recognized. it says I might need to acquire
> "built in USB interface on a system preinstalled with winows98 windowsMe
> windows 2000." Would the fact that the computer has been reformatted and
> Windows 98SE replaced the preinstalled edition have some thing to do
> with my problems.
>
> I am completely stumped what to do next - I would be very grateful for
> any advice,

A possible solution would be to get a cheapo <20 Sandisk USB
CompactFlash reader/writer for the PC. The work straight away with almost
any OS, no messing around.

--
Paul S

- "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya. You `kill -9'-ed my parent -
- process. Prepare to vi." -

Mara

paul s wrote:

> 'the twain had a virus', now this is what happens when you put
> Jonathan Ross 'Woss' in charge of RailTrack.

> 'twain driver' yup Elmer Fudd now works for Virgin Trains.

TWAIN, Technology Without An Interesting Name.

> A possible solution would be to get a cheapo <20 Sandisk USB
> CompactFlash reader/writer for the PC. The work straight away with
> almost any OS, no messing around.

"And a possible solution for you would be 2 parts sulphuric acid, 3 parts
carbolic acid and 5 parts slug slime".

<giggle>

--
3. we will not whitelist any IP address in a network that allows
spam to exist anywhere in its network.

paul s

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:09:48 +0200, Mara wrote:

> paul s wrote:
>
>> 'the twain had a virus', now this is what happens when you put Jonathan
>> Ross 'Woss' in charge of RailTrack.

>> 'twain driver' yup Elmer Fudd now works for Virgin Trains.

> TWAIN, Technology Without An Interesting Name.

BTW the Linux version is called SANE 'Scanner Access Now Easy'.

Talking about twains, anyone seen this site? The A-Z of British Rail
excuses:
http://www.rodge.force9.co.uk/faq/excuses.html

-----------
Exploding pigeon (apparently the wires at Kings Cross Thameslink are quite
low and a bird flying between the wire and the roof causes 25kV to earth
itself on the train via the bird!)
-----------

>> A possible solution would be to get a cheapo <20 Sandisk USB
>> CompactFlash reader/writer for the PC. The work straight away with
>> almost any OS, no messing around.

> "And a possible solution for you would be 2 parts sulphuric acid, 3
> parts carbolic acid and 5 parts slug slime".
>
> <giggle>

Thanks.

--
Paul S

- Polygon: A dead parrot (sorry, John Cleese!) -

Jimchip

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:40:23 +0100, Frank Clement-Lorford wrote:
[snip]
> In looking through the troubleshooting section of the software's Manuel
> about camera not being recognized. it says I might need to acquire "built
> in USB interface on a system preinstalled with winows98 windowsMe windows
> 2000." Would the fact that the computer has been reformatted and Windows
> 98SE replaced the preinstalled edition have some thing to do with my
> problems.
>
> I am completely stumped what to do next - I would be very grateful for any
> advice,

If it is a USB problem (and it may be):

Are either of these true for you?
* An AMD processor (running at 350 MHz or faster)
* A VIA Technologies USB controller
If so, then http://makeashorterlink.com/?J10A23575

--
We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.

Ian Hastie

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:24:25 +0000, paul s wrote:

> BTW the Linux version is called SANE 'Scanner Access Now Easy'.

But for a Canon PowerShot S40 you'd use gphoto2. *

http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/

--
Ian.

EOM

paul s

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:47:16 +0100, Ian Hastie wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:24:25 +0000, paul s wrote:
>
>> BTW the Linux version is called SANE 'Scanner Access Now Easy'.

> But for a Canon PowerShot S40 you'd use gphoto2. *
>
> http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/

Actually I got a S110 and I use GTKam. Plug the camera in and the
GTKam icom appears on the KDE desktop, click on in and there's the pics
ready for downloading.

Yeh I know SANE meant for scanners.

--
Paul S
- I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it! -

Monsignor Larville Jones MD

paul s <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:09:48 +0200, Mara wrote:
>
>> paul s wrote:
>>
>>> 'the twain had a virus', now this is what happens when you put Jonathan
>>> Ross 'Woss' in charge of RailTrack.

>>> 'twain driver' yup Elmer Fudd now works for Virgin Trains.

>> TWAIN, Technology Without An Interesting Name.

>BTW the Linux version is called SANE 'Scanner Access Now Easy'.
>
>Talking about twains, anyone seen this site? The A-Z of British Rail
>excuses:
>http://www.rodge.force9.co.uk/faq/excuses.html
>
>-----------
>Exploding pigeon (apparently the wires at Kings Cross Thameslink are quite
>low and a bird flying between the wire and the roof causes 25kV to earth
>itself on the train via the bird!)
>-----------
>
>>> A possible solution would be to get a cheapo <20 Sandisk USB
>>> CompactFlash reader/writer for the PC. The work straight away with
>>> almost any OS, no messing around.

>> "And a possible solution for you would be 2 parts sulphuric acid, 3
>> parts carbolic acid and 5 parts slug slime".
>>
>> <giggle>

>Thanks.

Drink that black-worm troll jism. DRINK IT!!!1

BWAHAHAHAHAetc...

TWO-NIL, ****tard cl00bie.

--
zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

- Panama!"

- Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as paul s continued:

>> TWO-NIL, ****tard cl00bie.

> Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD is now ranting on planet loony with
> such fervour that he'll forget to breathe soon...

Does he still say 'left-right-left-right' when he walks to keep going ?
--
slumpy
no more