Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New HD not recognised in Windows

New HD not recognised in Windows

Jim

I've just installed a new 120GB Deskstar drive in my
Dimension T600r. I set the jumpers on the back of the drive
to what appeared to be 16head Drive 1 (Slave). I have
installed the latest BIOS.

On booting, there is no drive recognised by Plug and Play
though a device driver search is initiated and completed.

Opening "My Computer" shows drive C and the DVD and CDROM
drives as D and E.

A search for new hardware shows none recognised.

Looking in System Devices for disk drives shows a floppy and
TWO generic IDE drives, both working correctly, but with no
letter assigned to the second drive.

Checking the BIOS shows the new drive is recognised
correctly as a 120GB Primary IDE Slave device.

What next please?

Thanks!

3-4-Oxy-2-Aminocarbonyl-Tetrahydropyrido-Ethyltetrahydro-2-Hydroxy-1-Phenolsulfonic-Acid

Jim wrote:

> On booting, there is no drive recognised by Plug and Play
> though a device driver search is initiated and completed.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

Jim

Oops.. forgot new drives needed to be partitioned befor
formatting... all well now.

Stace

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just installed a new 120GB Deskstar drive in my
> Dimension T600r. I set the jumpers on the back of the drive
> to what appeared to be 16head Drive 1 (Slave). I have
> installed the latest BIOS.
>
> On booting, there is no drive recognised by Plug and Play
> though a device driver search is initiated and completed.
>
> Opening "My Computer" shows drive C and the DVD and CDROM
> drives as D and E.
>
> A search for new hardware shows none recognised.
>
> Looking in System Devices for disk drives shows a floppy and
> TWO generic IDE drives, both working correctly, but with no
> letter assigned to the second drive.
>
> Checking the BIOS shows the new drive is recognised
> correctly as a 120GB Primary IDE Slave device.
>
> What next please?
>
> Thanks!

Is the new drive partitioned and formatted? To provide more specific advice
it would be helpful to know which version of Windows you are using.

Stace.

Mara

Shut the **** up and make up some bullshit. Hell, I do it all the time.

--
3. we will not whitelist any IP address in a network that allows
spam to exist anywhere in its network.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

OK - What version of Windows? If a Win9X, you need to run FDISK from
the DOS prompt (not from within Windows!) and create a drive partition.
Reboot after you exit FDISK. Run FORMAT and format the sucker. It will
become D: moving your opticals down a letter.

If an NT class OS (NT, 2K, XP), then run Disk Management (for 2K and
XP, you can right-click on "My Computer" and left-click on "Manage" to get
there) and create a drive partition there. Commit the changes. Format the
partition.

After that, it'll show up.

"I just bought this blank video tape, and when I put it in the tape
deck, there's nothing but snow on it. What do I do now?"

RwP

Jim

"Stace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is the new drive partitioned and formatted? To provide more specific advice
>it would be helpful to know which version of Windows you are using.

Thanks - that was all that was wrong - I had forgotten that
new drives can be used in all kinds of OS and needed to be
partitioned. Now it's doing a thorough Scandisk on the 120GB
that looks as if it will take a *very long time...

Cheers...