Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Opinions on zippers (the computer file kind)

Opinions on zippers (the computer file kind)

Rustiferion

(I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run with it...)

I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and replace it
with something from this century. Googling around reveals a bewildering
array of programs available, from free to over $60. Since I don't have the
energy to download and try trial versions of all of them, I would be
interested in hearing opinions from light-to-medium users on what they use.
I only email maybe one .zip file a month, but I download maybe a dozen, and
I want to start archiving .jpegs, since I have the bad habit of saving
intermediate-step images when I edit graphics, and they're getting out of
hand, doncha know?

The ones that I have found that look promising are:

BitZipper ($20)
PicoZip ($25)
WinZip ($29)

PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway. Everybody
compares their product against WinZip (which is a recommendation in itself)
but of course they all compare themselves quite favorably, so...

TIA
~RL

Brian H供

slumpy said:

> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供 continued:

>> Rustiferion said:
>>
>>> (I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run
>>> with it...)
>>>
>>> I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and
>>> replace it with something from this century. Googling around
>>> reveals a bewildering array of programs available, from free to over
>>> $60. Since I don't have the energy to download and try trial
>>> versions of all of them, I would be interested in hearing opinions
>>> from light-to-medium users on what they use. I only email maybe one
>>> .zip file a month, but I download maybe a dozen, and I want to start
>>> archiving .jpegs, since I have the bad habit of saving
>>> intermediate-step images when I edit graphics, and they're getting
>>> out of hand, doncha know?
>>>
>>> The ones that I have found that look promising are:
>>>
>>> BitZipper ($20)
>>> PicoZip ($25)
>>> WinZip ($29)
>>>
>>> PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway.
>>> Everybody compares their product against WinZip (which is a
>>> recommendation in itself) but of course they all compare themselves
>>> quite favorably, so...
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> ~RL

>> WinZip is the most frequently recommended.
>> Try the evaluation copy to see how you like it http://www.winzip.com/

> And if you like it, just keep it

Nozza

I like Power Archiver.

If you look around you can find 6.1, which is freeware. Simple as
Winzip. No nags. Can also create self extracting executables. Can
check for setup files etc and handles zipped setups beautifully.

Later/Recnt versions are not freeware.

Search on Google for powerarc61.exe, and download from an educational
site.

Always virus check your downloads.

HTH

Noz

Shel-hed

Another vote for PowerArchiver.
My setup file is called powerarc611.exe
...,
Shel.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:24:53 GMT, "Rustiferion" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>(I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run with it...)
>
>I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and replace it
>with something from this century. Googling around reveals a bewildering
>array of programs available, from free to over $60. Since I don't have the
>energy to download and try trial versions of all of them, I would be
>interested in hearing opinions from light-to-medium users on what they use.
>I only email maybe one .zip file a month, but I download maybe a dozen, and
>I want to start archiving .jpegs, since I have the bad habit of saving
>intermediate-step images when I edit graphics, and they're getting out of
>hand, doncha know?
>
>The ones that I have found that look promising are:
>
>BitZipper ($20)
>PicoZip ($25)
>WinZip ($29)
>
>PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway. Everybody
>compares their product against WinZip (which is a recommendation in itself)
>but of course they all compare themselves quite favorably, so...
>
>TIA
>~RL

Jim PKP

> BitZipper ($20)
> PicoZip ($25)
> WinZip ($29)

Winzip is small/free/standard

--
| http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | PandaKunda | aLsO nObiE | <no smileys> |

paul s

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:28:38 +0100, slumpy wrote:

> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供 continued:

>> Rustiferion said:
>>
>>> (I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run with
>>> it...)
>>>
>>> I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and
>>> replace it with something from this century. Googling around reveals a
>>> bewildering array of programs available, from free to over $60. Since
>>> I don't have the energy to download and try trial versions of all of
>>> them, I would be interested in hearing opinions from light-to-medium
>>> users on what they use. I only email maybe one .zip file a month, but I
>>> download maybe a dozen, and I want to start archiving .jpegs, since I
>>> have the bad habit of saving intermediate-step images when I edit
>>> graphics, and they're getting out of hand, doncha know?
>>>
>>> The ones that I have found that look promising are:
>>>
>>> BitZipper ($20)
>>> PicoZip ($25)
>>> WinZip ($29)
>>>
>>> PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway. Everybody
>>> compares their product against WinZip (which is a recommendation in
>>> itself) but of course they all compare themselves quite favorably,
>>> so...
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> ~RL

>> WinZip is the most frequently recommended. Try the evaluation copy to
>> see how you like it http://www.winzip.com/

> And if you like it, just keep it

It don't stop working, it just keeps on nagging at you to register.

--
Paul S

- It is better to have loved and lost. Cheaper, too! -

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as paul s continued:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:28:38 +0100, slumpy wrote:

>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供
>> continued:

>>> WinZip is the most frequently recommended. Try the evaluation copy
>>> to see how you like it http://www.winzip.com/

>> And if you like it, just keep it

> It don't stop working, it just keeps on nagging at you to register.

I used to worry that one day it would just stop and say "OK, pay up ya tight
git."
--
slumpy
no more

paul s

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:36:19 +0100, slumpy wrote:

> I used to worry that one day it would just stop and say "OK, pay up ya
> tight git."

One of my favourite Windows programs is like that, Good ol' Paint Shop
Pro. Kept on nagging at startup but still done it's job for two years.

--
Paul S

- BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -

@}-}-------Rosee

I like UltimateZip as it works with more than just zip files AND it is free.

http://www.ultimatezip.com

WinRAR is also good if you are going to pay for an unzipper, but it is worth
the fee....;o)

I have used both and WinZip, but keep returning to WinRAR.

"Rustiferion" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the
following words news:FOfWa.28298$(E-Mail Removed):

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

Thund3rstruck

Rustiferion Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
proclaimed in <FOfWa.28298$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> (I just *know* someone's gonna pick that subject line up and run
> with it...)
>
> I've finally decided to retire my battered Quarterdeck Zip-It and
> replace it
> with something from this century. Googling around reveals a
> bewildering
> array of programs available, from free to over $60. Since I don't
> have the energy to download and try trial versions of all of them, I
> would be interested in hearing opinions from light-to-medium users
> on what they use. I only email maybe one .zip file a month, but I
> download maybe a dozen, and I want to start archiving .jpegs, since
> I have the bad habit of saving intermediate-step images when I edit
> graphics, and they're getting out of hand, doncha know?
>
> The ones that I have found that look promising are:
>
> BitZipper ($20)
> PicoZip ($25)
> WinZip ($29)
>
> PentaZip is too expensive and probably over my head anyway.
> Everybody compares their product against WinZip (which is a
> recommendation in itself) but of course they all compare themselves
> quite favorably, so...
>
> TIA
> ~RL

Honestly, I'm quite happy with the eval version of Winzip...when
I'm using a Windows machine that is...

NOI