Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet Connection Sharing.

Internet Connection Sharing.

Murray McNeill

Tried unsuccessfully to share a DSL connection between a desktop PC with
Windows XP Pro and 2 NIC cards, and my laptop PC, running Windows 2000.
I had them hooked together with a crossover cable, and the laptop PC could
browse to the XP box, seeing the shared folders and printer, but could not
access the internet.
The desktop machine is connected directly to the Internet with a SpeedStream
5360 Ethernet modem. It is built using an ASUS A7N8X, with the 2 on-board
NIC. No combination of dynamic addressing or static addressing changed
anything, all I ever saw on the laptop was the shared resources of the XP
box.
My laptop is configured for work environment, and is a member of a domain.
Using another user account, I joined the workgroup of the desktop box, but
still no internet.
Is there an obvious thing I have missed, or a link to a "how to" site anyone
can recommend?