Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Game recomendation?

Game recomendation?

Bill Schowengerdt

Hi,

I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.

I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common people

While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
are like minded with me.

So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
little for it.

I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill" of
the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I did
like it.

Suggestions?

Fummie

Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
> recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
>
> I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
> people
>
> While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
> are like minded with me.
>
> So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
> free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
> little for it.
>
> I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
> of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
> did like it.
>
> Suggestions?

Here is a nice little game called Clickomania: http://www.clickomania.ch/click/
They have heaps of other games there too.

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bill Schowengerdt continued:

> Hi,
>
> I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
> recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
>
> I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
> people
>
> While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
> are like minded with me.
>
> So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
> free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
> little for it.
>
> I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
> of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
> did like it.
>
> Suggestions?

www.fhm.com have loads of online games which are ace, and great for office
competitions
www.shockwave.com have hundreds too, mostly pretty good, with free demos
etc.

There are hundreds more too, just google your day away....
--
slumpy
no more

trout

Bill Schowengerdt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
> recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
>
> I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
> people
>
> While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
> are like minded with me.
>
> So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
> free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
> little for it.
>
> I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
> of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
> did like it.
>
> Suggestions?

Frozen Windows was fun:
<http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html>
--
"Slow and strategic."

Bill Schowengerdt

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:44:59 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>"So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
>threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bill Schowengerdt continued:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
>> recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
>>
>> I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
>> people
>>
>> While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
>> are like minded with me.
>>
>> So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
>> free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
>> little for it.
>>
>> I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
>> of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
>> did like it.
>>
>> Suggestions?

>www.fhm.com have loads of online games which are ace, and great for office
>competitions
>www.shockwave.com have hundreds too, mostly pretty good, with free demos
>etc.
>
>There are hundreds more too, just google your day away..

Suggestions of particular games?..

trout

Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
> the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

<snip>

>> Frozen Windows was fun:
>> http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html

> Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on
> with some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than
> my thread.
>
> I shall try your suggestion.

It's up to you; how you want to use the newsgroup, Bill. But I'd
seriously consider making some use of that killfile.
--
"It can be a much more peaceful, pleasant place."

Bill Schowengerdt

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:49:04 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
>> the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

><snip>
>
>>> Frozen Windows was fun:
>>> http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html

>> Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on
>> with some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than
>> my thread.
>>
>> I shall try your suggestion.

> It's up to you; how you want to use the newsgroup, Bill. But I'd
>seriously consider making some use of that killfile.

Due to problems in my brain I have a very hard time tracking who posted
what. Therefore I have resisted using the kill filter because I did not
want to killfile someone who occasionally has something useful to say. Or
even someone who I could help.(Unlikely, but ya never know.)

However, I think you are correct and that perhaps I should take the time
to read some posting histories and killfile some people. Apparently there
are a few who never have anything useful, eh?

trout

Bill Schowengerdt wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:49:04 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
> the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
> .
>> Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
>>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to
>>> stop the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>> <snip>

>>> Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on
>>> with some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than
>>> my thread.
>>>
>>> I shall try your suggestion.

>> It's up to you; how you want to use the newsgroup, Bill. But I'd
>> seriously consider making some use of that killfile.

> Due to problems in my brain I have a very hard time tracking who
> posted what. Therefore I have resisted using the kill filter because
> I did not want to killfile someone who occasionally has something
> useful to say. Or even someone who I could help.(Unlikely, but ya
> never know.)
>
> However, I think you are correct and that perhaps I should take the
> time to read some posting histories and killfile some people.
> Apparently there are a few who never have anything useful, eh?

Again, suit yourself.
What I'll sometimes do, when I've got my doubts about somebody, is
create a rule that will 'flag' that poster.
Subsequent posts will all be flagged, so if I see nothing but
consistent crap; it's time for the bin. (Again, this is in OE; but I'm
sure there's something similar in your reader.)
And yeah, a review of posting history can be pretty revealing.
That's why the worst of the lot change their names so often.
--
"Life's too short, to waste it talking to idiots."

Pinears P HornSwaGGle

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:38:27 -0500, Bill Schowengerdt
<(E-Mail Removed)> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
the world:

>On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
>the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>.
>>Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
>>> recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
>>>
>>> I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
>>> people
>>>
>>> While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
>>> are like minded with me.
>>>
>>> So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
>>> free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
>>> little for it.
>>>
>>> I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
>>> of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
>>> did like it.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?

>>Frozen Windows was fun:
>><http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html>

>Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on with
>some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than my
>thread.

"Your thread" ??????

oooooo May I puuuuhleeeeeeaase see your deed to the TROO OWNERSHIP UV
TEH 24hoursupport.hepdesk newsfroup? I ain't never seen wun
befo!!11!!!

>I shall try your suggestion.

UseNet Rules #n:
No firm info at the present time is available on just what the other UseNet
Rules #n are. However, at a guess, they include:
--
Rule #nonumber: There are no hard-and-fast Rules on UseNet, only Guidelines,
which are more or less strictly enforced (and differ) from group to group;
this is why it's generally wise to read any group for a bit before ever
posting to it.
Rule #0: *There* *is* *no* *C*b*l*. There *is*, however, a net-wide
conspiracy designed solely to lead Dave Hayes (q.v.) to believe that there
is a C*b*l.
Corollary: *There* *are* *no* *pods*.
Rule #9: It's *always* September, *somewhere* on the Net.
Dave Fischer's Extension: 1993 was The Year September Never Ended [so far,
there doesn't seem to be much evidence he's wrong...]
Rule #17: Go not to UseNet for counsel, for they will say both `No' and
`Yes' and `Try another newsgroup'.
Rule #2 (John Gilmore): "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes
around it."
Rule #108 (from the soc.motss FAQ): "What will happen to me if I read
soc.motss?" "In general, nothing. (You may be informed or infuriated, of
course; but that's a standard Usenet hazard.)"
Rule #666: Old alt groups never die. They don't fade away nicely, either.
Rule #7-B: There is no topic so thoroughly covered that noone will ever
bring it up again.
Rule #90120: Applying your standards to someone else's post *will* result
in a flamewar.
Rule #1: Spellling and grammer counts. So do grace, wit, and a sense of
humor (the latter two are different), as well as a willingness to meet
odd people, but these are lesser considerations.
Rule #x^2: FAQs are asked frequently. Get used to them.
Rule #29: no rational discourse can happen in a thread cross-posted to
more than two newsgroups.
rule #6 (Eddie Saxe): don't post to misc.test unless you understand the
consequences.
Rule #547 (Arne Adolfsen): When people know they're wrong they resort to ad
hominems.
Rule #37 (Faisal Nameer Jawdat): Read the thread from the beginning, or else.
Rule #5 (Reimer's Reason): Nobody ever ignores what they should ignore on
Usenet.
Rule $19.99 (Brad `Squid' Shapcott): The Internet *isn't* *free*. It just has
an economy that makes no sense to capitalism.
Rule #3 ("Why 3?" "Because we felt like it"): For every opinion there is at
least one equally loud and opposing opinion; sometimes stated as:
Rule #27 (Gary Lewandowski): "In cyberspace, *everyone* can hear you scream."
And for completeness' sake:

Rule #4: (Godwin's Rule) Any off-topic mention of Hitler or Nazis will cause
the thread it is mentioned in to an irrelevant and off-topic end very soon;
every thread on UseNet has a constantly-increasing probability to contain
such a mention.
Quirk's Exception: Intentional invocation of this so-called "Nazi Clause" is
ineffectual.
Case's Corollary: If the subject is Heinlein or homosexuality, the
probability of a Hitler/Nazi comparison being made becomes equal to one.
- net.legends FAQ (<URL:http://www.uiuc.edu/
~tskirvin/faqs/legends.html>)
--
Copyright 1999, Tim Skirvin
<URL:http://www.uiuc.edu/~tskirvin/faqs/godwin.faq>

Bill Schowengerdt

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:32:08 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..

> Again, suit yourself.
>What I'll sometimes do, when I've got my doubts about somebody, is
>create a rule that will 'flag' that poster.

Good idea

> Subsequent posts will all be flagged, so if I see nothing but
>consistent crap; it's time for the bin. (Again, this is in OE; but I'm
>sure there's something similar in your reader.)

Agent.... It does and I shall

> And yeah, a review of posting history can be pretty revealing.
>That's why the worst of the lot change their names so often.

I will provde for that as best I can in creating filters for them

Thanks again for the great idea.