Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Networking question. Win98 machines SO

Networking question. Win98 machines SO

JohnF

We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
impossible to dig out good old basic info.

TIA

JohnF

HamMan

"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
> several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
> make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
> 10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
> Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
> When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
> impossible to dig out good old basic info.
>
> TIA
>
> JohnF

No way in hell should you use Novell, you could replace the hubs with a
16port Switch.

Better yet, setup a server and a domain.

If you dont want to dismantle the building to lay cable consider wireless,
802.11g will provide upto 54Mbps

Lee

what is it you want to make faster? the systems? or the network?
If its the systems than depending on what processor you currently have
this is the vital part of the system that determines speed, also
depending on how ram is in the machines this is another vital part of
performance.

100mbit=10mb/s which is pretty standard for a network now and considered
fast enough if its not then there is consideration of getting gigabit
ethernet cards.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:00:05 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (JohnF) had
the will to write:

>We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
>several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
>make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
>10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
>Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
>When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
>impossible to dig out good old basic info.
>
>TIA
>
>JohnF

----
Lee

HamMan

"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there some way to get the network running nearer the 100Mb speed
> through the existing hardware?
>
> JohnF
>

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:00:48 +0100, "HamMan"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
> >> several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
> >> make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
> >> 10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
> >> Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
> >> When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
> >> impossible to dig out good old basic info.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> JohnF

> >No way in hell should you use Novell, you could replace the hubs with a
> >16port Switch.
> >
> >Better yet, setup a server and a domain.
> >
> >If you dont want to dismantle the building to lay cable consider

wireless,
> >802.11g will provide upto 54Mbps

Replacing the hubs with switches would give you much nearer the 100Mbps,
depending in what youre doing.
Provinding you are using CAT5e or CAT6 cable.
Switches are faitly cheap on ebay now

98SE isnt the fastest thing ever on networks in my experience, consider 2000
or XP (Pro if youre considering domian)

Jeffrey Edwards

The important thing is to determine why your network is considered "slow".
The most obvious thing is if you've updated some of your computers, you now
perceive your network to be slow because you become comfortable with your
faster computer. If your company is growing...i.e. your adding workstations
to your network, the you really want to consider getting a secure network.
Novell provides an excellent operating system in Netware 6. Microsoft
Windows 2000 Server is more user friendly, but has a higher price tag to go
along with it. All in all, before you do anything, you need to determine
the point of lethargy in your network. This way you will not be exhausting
time and resources without proper results.

--
Jeffrey Edwards
CNE5,CDE,MCP2k,CCA1.8
"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
> several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
> make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
> 10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
> Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
> When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
> impossible to dig out good old basic info.
>
> TIA
>
> JohnF

HamMan

"Jeffrey Edwards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hGWTa.25140$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> The important thing is to determine why your network is considered "slow".
> The most obvious thing is if you've updated some of your computers, you

now
> perceive your network to be slow because you become comfortable with your
> faster computer. If your company is growing...i.e. your adding

workstations
> to your network, the you really want to consider getting a secure network.
> Novell provides an excellent operating system in Netware 6. Microsoft
> Windows 2000 Server is more user friendly, but has a higher price tag to

go
> along with it. All in all, before you do anything, you need to determine
> the point of lethargy in your network. This way you will not be

exhausting
> time and resources without proper results.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Edwards
> CNE5,CDE,MCP2k,CCA1.8
> "JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
> > several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
> > make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
> > 10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
> > Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
> > When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
> > impossible to dig out good old basic info.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > JohnF

Good point, you could setup a very small scale server running not WinNT or
Novell, but use a linux based OS, nice and fast; and more importantly free.

Get a cheapo Athlon1600+ or Duron 1.3 and you'll be well away

JR

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:00:05 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (JohnF)
wrote:

>We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
>several years ago and it's slow but it works.

Define "slow". What sort of file transfer speeds across the LAN do you
get?

jd