Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Networking Problem

Networking Problem

Imran Khan

Hi,

I have 2 computers a cable modem and a network switch/hub. One of my comps.
has Windows XP the other has Windows 98 SE. I have connected everything to
the network hub including the cable modem. The network hub recognises that
everything is there but i cannot setup ther networking on my Windows 98 SE
computer. It won't find the XP computer and won't go on the internet. I
tried the Windows XP network setup but still cannot get it to work. My
windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.

Please Help

Thanks You

Lee

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:51:20 +0100, "Imran Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
had the will to write:

>Hi,
>
>I have 2 computers a cable modem and a network switch/hub. One of my comps.
>has Windows XP the other has Windows 98 SE. I have connected everything to
>the network hub including the cable modem.

the cable modem will not work in a hub you will need a router.
> The network hub recognises that
>everything is there but i cannot setup ther networking on my Windows 98 SE
>computer. It won't find the XP computer and won't go on the internet. I
>tried the Windows XP network setup but still cannot get it to work. My
>windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.

I have problems in the past networking windows xp and 98se together,
have you tried assigning static ip addresses to each of the machines?

>Please Help
>
>Thanks You

----
Lee

PJB

"Imran Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GOATa.363$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 computers a cable modem and a network switch/hub.

One of my comps.
> has Windows XP the other has Windows 98 SE. I have

connected everything to
> the network hub including the cable modem. The network hub

recognises that
> everything is there but i cannot setup ther networking on

my Windows 98 SE
> computer. It won't find the XP computer and won't go on

the internet. I
> tried the Windows XP network setup but still cannot get it

to work. My
> windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.

Neither of your pc's will "see" the internet, since you're
using a hub. Cable modems generally speaking need to "talk"
to a network card in a pc, with your connection going via a
hub that isn't possible.

have a look at www.practicallynetworked.com for further info

P.

Jeffrey Edwards

In order to get your computers on the internet you must first setup your pc
so that it recognizes the path to get to the internet.

In order to get multiple PC's on the internet you need 1 of 2 things in
place

1.) A public IP address on each pc. Since you are using a cable modem, more
than likely, you modem will issue your pc a "Dynamic IP Address". This
means that you pc will have all the configuration information that it needs
to get to the internet. However, you will need to verify with your
cableproviders technical support team if the cablemodem can issue multiple
IP Addresses. In your case, more than likely they will say NO and if you
want multiple addresses, you have to pay an extra fee.....but hey...I could
be wrong, it doesn't hurt to ask.

2.) You need to setup NAT (Network Address Translation) on your XP machine.
Since your having problems with getting things going, I'm going to assume
that this option would be a little too complex and my fingers are getting
tired of typing.

The easiest thing to do, is to plug the cablemodem directly into the pc NIC
card of one of your systems.

Oh...I almost forgot, there is the small issue of correct cabling. Your
cable that came with your modem is a cross-over. This means that you can
connect two devices directly into each other. If your going through a HUB,
this cable is the wrong type. You will need a regular CAT-5 cable. Its the
type of cable that you use to go from your pc to your hub.

Hope it helps!!

on your windows 98 pc, right click on the network neighborhood and go to
properties.

--
Jeffrey Edwards
CNE5,CDE,MCP2k,CCA1.8
"Auric__" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:58:55 +0100, "PJB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Imran Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:GOATa.363$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have 2 computers a cable modem and a network switch/hub.

> >One of my comps.
> >> has Windows XP the other has Windows 98 SE. I have

> >connected everything to
> >> the network hub including the cable modem. The network hub

> >recognises that
> >> everything is there but i cannot setup ther networking on

> >my Windows 98 SE
> >> computer. It won't find the XP computer and won't go on

> >the internet. I
> >> tried the Windows XP network setup but still cannot get it

> >to work. My
> >> windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.

> >Neither of your pc's will "see" the internet, since you're
> >using a hub. Cable modems generally speaking need to "talk"
> >to a network card in a pc, with your connection going via a
> >hub that isn't possible.
> >
> >have a look at www.practicallynetworked.com for further info
> >
> >P.

> Not true - it all depends on the setup. For a while, I was running my
> office out of my home, and since I was paying for multiple IP
> addresses, I was able to do exactly what the OP did - modem to hub,
> hub to PCs.
> --
> auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com

Ron Martell

"Imran Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have 2 computers a cable modem and a network switch/hub. One of my comps.
>has Windows XP the other has Windows 98 SE. I have connected everything to
>the network hub including the cable modem. The network hub recognises that
>everything is there but i cannot setup ther networking on my Windows 98 SE
>computer. It won't find the XP computer and won't go on the internet. I
>tried the Windows XP network setup but still cannot get it to work. My
>windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.
>
>Please Help
>
>Thanks You

Probably I.P. addressing problems

Simplest method would be to replace the switch/hub with a cable/dsl
router.

That way both PCs will be using non-routable addresses in the
192.168.nnn.nnn range and should be able to see each other, provided
the workgroup name is the same and the computer names are different.

You could also use a second network protocol for your local
networking, such as IPX/SPX or NetBEUI. IPX/SPX comes with XP and can
be added quite easily. NetBEUI is a bit trickier to install but does
work okay.

I used TCP/IP plus NetBEUI when I had a similar networking situation.
I have since moved to using a router, because I needed additional
machines to be able to access the Internet.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP