Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE6 and invisible pop up program?

IE6 and invisible pop up program?

brian s.

My neice was playing on the machine using the aol messenger, and went to
some website. It embedded a program that after about 5 minutes of me using
the computer, even if i dont have a web page up, it keeps throwing up pop
ups.... i ran spybot and destroy and it took care of some gator stuff. and i
did a disk clean, but to no avail it is still comming up even with a pop-up
stopper. Can anyone help me? Also some of it is porn and i dont want her to
see that .......

brian s.

°Mike°

<Canned response>

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' dropdown, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q330904

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q302089

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:07:08 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
brian s. scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You do that.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:07:19 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
brian s. scrawled:

<snip>

>I will try the firewall

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Wal

"brian s." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My neice was playing on the machine using the aol messenger, and went to
> some website. It embedded a program that after about 5 minutes of me using
> the computer, even if i dont have a web page up, it keeps throwing up pop
> ups.... i ran spybot and destroy and it took care of some gator stuff. and

> did a disk clean, but to no avail it is still comming up even with a

pop-up
> stopper. Can anyone help me? Also some of it is porn and i dont want her

> see that .......
>
> brian s.

Clear out your internet cache and Windows temp
folders. If there are any files in the cache or temp
folders that you cannot delete because it is in use
then if your OS can boot to dos do that and
delete it in dos. If you are sure the Cache and
Temp folders are empty and it is still running then
download and install Filemon and Regmon.
Run them separately and they should pin point
the files and register entries involved.

Wal.

Plato

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop5.htm#3