Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slackware 7.0 FIPS headache

Slackware 7.0 FIPS headache

Boris Badenuff

I'm trying to load Slackware 7.0 on a machine currently running Windows
98SE.

I ran the FIPS disk and had no trouble - created the new partition, no
sweat.

Right at the end, though, when it copied the partition table to the hard
drive, I got the following:
----------------

Repartitioning complete
With shortened partitions, you should now run scandisk on the shortened
partition

Bye!

Memory allocation error
Cannot load COMMAND, system halted
-----------------

The C: partition is 3004 MB, the 2nd partition is 3138 MB.

At this point, I haven't continued at all, preferring to find out if the
Memory allocation error is anything critical. Hope someone can help.

paul s

Boris Badenuff wrote:

> I'm trying to load Slackware 7.0 on a machine currently running Windows
> 98SE.
>
> I ran the FIPS disk and had no trouble - created the new partition, no
> sweat.
>
> Right at the end, though, when it copied the partition table to the hard
> drive, I got the following:
> ----------------
>
> Repartitioning complete
> With shortened partitions, you should now run scandisk on the shortened
> partition
>
> Bye!
>
> Memory allocation error
> Cannot load COMMAND, system halted
> -----------------
>
> The C: partition is 3004 MB, the 2nd partition is 3138 MB.
>
> At this point, I haven't continued at all, preferring to find out if the
> Memory allocation error is anything critical. Hope someone can help.

Two things:

1) Did you defrag the C: partition before running FIPS? From the FIPS
documentation. 'You need a defragmentation program in order to move all
data to the beginning of the hard disk.' A mate of mine managed to trash
his NTFS partition with Mandrake's DiskDrake, because he didn't defrag it.

2) If your new to Linux, are you sure that Slackware is the best choice?

--
Paul S

paul s

Boris Badenuff wrote:

> I'm trying to load Slackware 7.0 on a machine currently running Windows
> 98SE.
>
> I ran the FIPS disk and had no trouble - created the new partition, no
> sweat.
>
> Right at the end, though, when it copied the partition table to the hard
> drive, I got the following:
> ----------------
>
> Repartitioning complete
> With shortened partitions, you should now run scandisk on the shortened
> partition
>
> Bye!
>
> Memory allocation error
> Cannot load COMMAND, system halted
> -----------------
>
> The C: partition is 3004 MB, the 2nd partition is 3138 MB.
>
> At this point, I haven't continued at all, preferring to find out if the
> Memory allocation error is anything critical. Hope someone can help.

Well all you can do now is hit reset and hope for the best. If it won't
boot, try a DOS boot floppy or the 98se CD (boot to command prompt), and
see if you can access your C: drive that way.
--
Paul S

Boris Badenuff

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> reboot the machine and see what happened...
> if you had not defragged the drive first you can run fips again and
> "unsplit"
> the partitions.

Windows 98 reboots with no trouble; I was just wondering if there might have
been anything else related to my Linux install that the error could have
been pointing to. Sorry - I should have been a little more specific. Plus,
I found out that my Slackware boot and root disks were corrupt and I have to
recreate them.

I know that Slack is tougher than other versions of Linux, but I figured I'd
see what happened when I jumped into the deep end of the pool.

Thanks again for the advice!!!

---

philo

"Boris Badenuff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IPmTa.111153$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > reboot the machine and see what happened...
> > if you had not defragged the drive first you can run fips again and
> > "unsplit"
> > the partitions.
> >

> Windows 98 reboots with no trouble; I was just wondering if there might

have
> been anything else related to my Linux install that the error could have
> been pointing to. Sorry - I should have been a little more specific.

Plus,
> I found out that my Slackware boot and root disks were corrupt and I have

> recreate them.
>
> I know that Slack is tougher than other versions of Linux, but I figured

I'd
> see what happened when I jumped into the deep end of the pool.
>
> Thanks again for the advice!!!

ok,
be sure to back up anything on your windows partition...
slackware does not have any "installtion wizards" so you will need to use
linux
fdisk (or some similar manual partitioner)
and if you make a mistake, you could wipe out your windows partition!

once you get your drive partitioned, the slackware installtion will
be fairly standard (though configuring your X server may be a bit tedious)

paul s

philo wrote:

> "Boris Badenuff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IPmTa.111153$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>>
>> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > reboot the machine and see what happened...
>> > if you had not defragged the drive first you can run fips again and
>> > "unsplit"
>> > the partitions.
>> >

>> Windows 98 reboots with no trouble; I was just wondering if there might

> have
>> been anything else related to my Linux install that the error could have
>> been pointing to. Sorry - I should have been a little more specific.

> Plus,
>> I found out that my Slackware boot and root disks were corrupt and I have

>> recreate them.
>>
>> I know that Slack is tougher than other versions of Linux, but I figured

> I'd
>> see what happened when I jumped into the deep end of the pool.
>>
>> Thanks again for the advice!!!
>>

> ok,
> be sure to back up anything on your windows partition...
> slackware does not have any "installtion wizards" so you will need to use
> linux
> fdisk (or some similar manual partitioner)
> and if you make a mistake, you could wipe out your windows partition!
>
> once you get your drive partitioned, the slackware installtion will
> be fairly standard (though configuring your X server may be a bit tedious)

Yup I will agree with this. Slackware is a *mans* Linux. Distros like
Mandrake, Redhat and SuSE are for pussies, and Lindows is for idiots.
--
Paul S

Boris Badenuff

"paul s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AQtTa.954$(E-Mail Removed)...
> philo wrote:

> Yup I will agree with this. Slackware is a *mans* Linux. Distros like
> Mandrake, Redhat and SuSE are for pussies, and Lindows is for idiots.
> --
> Paul S

Just wanted to let everyone know that the installation went FLAWLESSLY -
like butta, baby!!! I'm dual-booting between Slack 7.0 and Windows 98SE
like nobody's business.

All is well - thanks for the notes of support!!!

Slackware 12.1 Philip Charles NZ Computing 0 05-04-2008 09:07 AM
C++ / STL / G++ / Slackware Ludis C++ 2 01-13-2006 12:11 PM
Slackware developer package on debian? Uplink Computer Information 0 01-12-2006 12:35 AM
k3b and Slackware 10.1 xx Robert Cooze NZ Computing 0 09-10-2005 09:59 PM
Apache Tomcat Slackware rwfields Java 0 07-07-2004 04:19 PM

Advertisments