Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do you set up a fax machine?

How do you set up a fax machine?

Jim

I have to choose between two options: use an online fax collector like
e-fax or just get my own fax machine. I'm kind of leaning toward the
fax machine right now, but what is involved to set it up? There's a
couple of questions I have about the setup too, like do I choose my own
number or is it just assigned to me? How is it assigned? Do I call up a
number or pick from a list or is the number included in each fax
machine? What types of things am I going to have to buy to get the fax
machine running? I know about the USB cable, but what else? (besides
paper obviously)

Anyone want to share their opinion about fax vs e-fax? Anyone use efax?
Thanks.

Brian H

Jim said:

> I have to choose between two options: use an online fax collector like
> e-fax or just get my own fax machine. I'm kind of leaning toward the
> fax machine right now, but what is involved to set it up? There's a
> couple of questions I have about the setup too, like do I choose my own
> number or is it just assigned to me? How is it assigned? Do I call up a
> number or pick from a list or is the number included in each fax
> machine? What types of things am I going to have to buy to get the fax
> machine running? I know about the USB cable, but what else? (besides
> paper obviously)
>
> Anyone want to share their opinion about fax vs e-fax? Anyone use efax?
> Thanks.

If you buy a fax machine, you plug it into your phone line, or get your
telephone company to supply a second telephone line if you want to have 2
different numbers.
If you get a dial-up modem, you usually get phone/fax/voice software supplied
with it. This option allows you to use your printer to print the faxes with.

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

Mcploppy

Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

> I have to choose between two options: use an online fax collector
> like e-fax or just get my own fax machine. I'm kind of leaning
> toward the fax machine right now, but what is involved to set it up?
> There's a couple of questions I have about the setup too, like do I
> choose my own number or is it just assigned to me? How is it
> assigned? Do I call up a number or pick from a list or is the number
> included in each fax machine? What types of things am I going to
> have to buy to get the fax machine running? I know about the USB
> cable, but what else? (besides paper obviously)
>
> Anyone want to share their opinion about fax vs e-fax? Anyone use
> efax? Thanks.

Hi Jim

Microsft fax can be set up on your machine this uses your own phone/PC/Modem
to receive/send fax's

More info can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/hq0j

I use YAC to receive faxes www.yac.com

HTH
--
Greg Crawford
{ Remove both MyShoes to email me}

Mcploppy

Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

<Snip>

>> Hi Jim
>>
>> Microsft fax can be set up on your machine this uses your own
>> phone/PC/Modem to receive/send fax's
>>
>> More info can be found here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/hq0j
>>

> Hmm. Checked the link out. No mention of price. Do you know how
> much for the service/software?

It's Free part of windows software

>> I use YAC to receive faxes www.yac.com

> Too bad I can't understand their prices.

They give you a YAC number, you use this as your fax/voicemail number, they
then email your fax or voicemail to you free.
They make their money from the call charge. Look here:
http://tinyurl.com/huc1

Jim

Mcploppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfmtlc$flg4t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
>
> <Snip>
>
> >> Hi Jim
> >>
> >> Microsft fax can be set up on your machine this uses your own
> >> phone/PC/Modem to receive/send fax's
> >>
> >> More info can be found here:
> >> http://tinyurl.com/hq0j
> >>

> > Hmm. Checked the link out. No mention of price. Do you know how
> > much for the service/software?

> It's Free part of windows software

Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service. And
this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?! If
so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send faxes? I
haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.

> >> I use YAC to receive faxes www.yac.com

> > Too bad I can't understand their prices.

> They give you a YAC number, you use this as your fax/voicemail

number, they
> then email your fax or voicemail to you free.
> They make their money from the call charge. Look here:
> http://tinyurl.com/huc1
>
>Not liking the per minute charge, but otherwise seems like a nice

service.

Mcploppy

Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

> Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
> service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service.
> And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?!
> If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send faxes?
> I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.

OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible using
the fax software that is allready built into windows You can send and
receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then print the received
faxes out using your own printer.

Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your telephone
service provider.

As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g connected
to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to receive faxes, this
is where the YAC number comes in. It costs nothing for you to receive the
fax to this number. They then email the fax to you. Cost to receive fax
zero.
The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be charged at
the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you

Jim

Mcploppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfmvnq$gei6j$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
>
> > Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
> > service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service.
> > And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?!
> > If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send

faxes?
> > I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.
> >

> OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible

using
> the fax software that is allready built into windows You can send and
> receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then print the

received
> faxes out using your own printer.
>
> Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your

telephone
> service provider.
>
> As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g

connected
> to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to receive faxes,

this
> is where the YAC number comes in. It costs nothing for you to receive

the
> fax to this number. They then email the fax to you. Cost to receive

fax
> zero.
> The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be

charged at
> the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you
>
> Ok, I like it and I don't like it. You never mentioned anything about

a monthly fee, and this would be better than efax if this is the case.
(Is there a monthly fee with YAC?) Sending through efax is I believe
10 cents/page and with YAC just charging regular phone charge if you
have the right plan on your phone line i would imagine the price is
better using YAC there too.

However, with efax the person sending the fax wouldn't even know the
user had no fax machine because no access number has to be dialed. Efax
gives you a set fax number separate from your phone line (I guess that's
different from Microsoft Fax then) and the user doesn't dial an access
code. Since this is a large company that would be faxing me on a
regular basis along with hundreds of other people, I doubt they'd want
to have to dial access numbers just to send to me. So I'd prefer not to
go that route.

Darn so close. If there's a way around it though, please tell. Thanks.

Jim

Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfn10n$gopkv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Mcploppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bfmvnq$gei6j$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
> >
> > > Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
> > > service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service.
> > > And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's

free?!
> > > If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send

> faxes?
> > > I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.
> > >

> > OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible

> using
> > the fax software that is allready built into windows You can send

and
> > receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then print the

> received
> > faxes out using your own printer.
> >
> > Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your

> telephone
> > service provider.
> >
> > As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g

> connected
> > to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to receive

faxes,
> this
> > is where the YAC number comes in. It costs nothing for you to

receive
> the
> > fax to this number. They then email the fax to you. Cost to receive

> fax
> > zero.
> > The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be

> charged at
> > the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you
> >
> > Ok, I like it and I don't like it. You never mentioned anything

about
> a monthly fee, and this would be better than efax if this is the case.
> (Is there a monthly fee with YAC?) Sending through efax is I believe
> 10 cents/page and with YAC just charging regular phone charge if you
> have the right plan on your phone line i would imagine the price is
> better using YAC there too.
>
> However, with efax the person sending the fax wouldn't even know the
> user had no fax machine because no access number has to be dialed.

Efax
> gives you a set fax number separate from your phone line (I guess

that's
> different from Microsoft Fax then) and the user doesn't dial an access
> code. Since this is a large company that would be faxing me on a
> regular basis along with hundreds of other people, I doubt they'd want
> to have to dial access numbers just to send to me. So I'd prefer not

> go that route.
>
> Darn so close. If there's a way around it though, please tell.

Thanks.

> >Oh, not to mention, I doubt they'd want to be *charged* to send out

to me. So I guess if there's no other option with YAC, that service
just won't work for me. Thanks for the information though.

Mcploppy

Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

> Mcploppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bfmvnq$gei6j$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>
>> Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
>>
>>> Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
>>> service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service.
>>> And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?!
>>> If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send
>>> faxes? I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.
>>>

>> OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible
>> using the fax software that is allready built into windows You can
>> send and receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then
>> print the received faxes out using your own printer.
>>
>> Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your
>> telephone service provider.
>>
>> As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g
>> connected to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to
>> receive faxes, this is where the YAC number comes in. It costs
>> nothing for you to receive the fax to this number. They then email
>> the fax to you. Cost to receive fax zero.
>> The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be
>> charged at the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you
>>

> Ok, I like it and I don't like it. You never mentioned anything about
> a monthly fee, and this would be better than efax if this is the case.
> (Is there a monthly fee with YAC?) Sending through efax is I believe
> 10 cents/page and with YAC just charging regular phone charge if you
> have the right plan on your phone line i would imagine the price is
> better using YAC there too.
>
> However, with efax the person sending the fax wouldn't even know the
> user had no fax machine because no access number has to be dialed.
> Efax gives you a set fax number separate from your phone line (I
> guess that's different from Microsoft Fax then) and the user doesn't
> dial an access code. Since this is a large company that would be
> faxing me on a regular basis along with hundreds of other people, I
> doubt they'd want to have to dial access numbers just to send to me.
> So I'd prefer not to go that route.
>
> Darn so close. If there's a way around it though, please tell.
> Thanks.

I use my PC to send faxes. YAC to receive

YAC .......There is no Setup fee or monthly charge to you. Only cost is the
cost of the call (to the sender)

The microsoft software is on your PC allready.... and as long as your phone
line is not in use then you will be able to receive faxes at no cost to you.
And the cost to the sender is the cost of their call.

If you use the microsoft fax to send faxes you only pay the cost of the
call.... No monthly charge or setup fee

Jim

Mcploppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfn1rl$gnci0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
>
> > Mcploppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bfmvnq$gei6j$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

free?!

> >> OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible
> >> using the fax software that is allready built into windows You can
> >> send and receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then
> >> print the received faxes out using your own printer.
> >>
> >> Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your
> >> telephone service provider.
> >>
> >> As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g
> >> connected to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to
> >> receive faxes, this is where the YAC number comes in. It costs
> >> nothing for you to receive the fax to this number. They then email
> >> the fax to you. Cost to receive fax zero.
> >> The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be
> >> charged at the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you
> >>

> > Ok, I like it and I don't like it. You never mentioned anything

about
> > a monthly fee, and this would be better than efax if this is the

case.
> > (Is there a monthly fee with YAC?) Sending through efax is I

believe
> > 10 cents/page and with YAC just charging regular phone charge if

you
> > have the right plan on your phone line i would imagine the price is
> > better using YAC there too.
> >
> > However, with efax the person sending the fax wouldn't even know the
> > user had no fax machine because no access number has to be dialed.
> > Efax gives you a set fax number separate from your phone line (I
> > guess that's different from Microsoft Fax then) and the user doesn't
> > dial an access code. Since this is a large company that would be
> > faxing me on a regular basis along with hundreds of other people, I
> > doubt they'd want to have to dial access numbers just to send to me.
> > So I'd prefer not to go that route.
> >
> > Darn so close. If there's a way around it though, please tell.
> > Thanks.

> I use my PC to send faxes. YAC to receive
>
> YAC .......There is no Setup fee or monthly charge to you. Only cost

is the
> cost of the call (to the sender)

Again, that darned access number they have to dial. With hundreds of
senders they're not going to take the time to single me out. So it's
not really an option.

> The microsoft software is on your PC allready.... and as long as your

phone
> line is not in use then you will be able to receive faxes at no cost

to you.
> And the cost to the sender is the cost of their call.
>
> If you use the microsoft fax to send faxes you only pay the cost of

the
> call.... No monthly charge or setup fee
>
> This would be the same phone charge as sending a regular fax to an

actual fax machine and vice versa correct?