Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > p2p music downloads.....

p2p music downloads.....

Fido

How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

Brian H¹©

Fido said:

> How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

If you can buy them from a music store, the chances are that all of them are.

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

Michael

In <news:bfjq1r$6dd$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fido said:

> How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

Easy: if you can find it in a legitimate music store anywhere, chances are
pretty good someone owns a copyright on it and it's illegal to possess a
copy of it without their permission.

Technically, that means less than 1 in 1000 of the music files you're likely
to find on any p2p trading system are legal to download.

((U))

paul s

Fido wrote:

> How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

If it's thru Kazaa or something, then just about all of them will be
illegal. Legal content can be had from sites like www.mp3.com, as this has
permission of the copyright owners.

--
Paul S

HamMan

"Fido" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfjq1r$6dd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

If you are using kazaa, the files with gold icons are legal (and you usally
have to pay for them) everything else is illegal

JM

Fido wrote:
> How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

Do a websearch for the artist you want to download.
www.google.com or other search engines.
Find the "official" site for that artists and see
what their statement is or post your question in the
artist's message boards if they have one. Some artists
have set free many of their songs for p2p sharing.
comes to mind. Also many other artists
have released many of their live versions of songs
on their websites. Other artists have stated on
mp3.com that their songs on mp3.com are free to
share on p2p. Some artists have their entire song
collection on their websites as they are just
starting out and love the exposure. However, if
you can't find an artists "official site" then
it is safe to assume that their songs are indeed
still copyrighted and you shouldn't grab them
unless you have already purchased it at some point.

Some cd stores have listening stations however
and so it could be ethically possible for you
to download a song and listen to it and if you
like it. Then you should go buy it. If you don't
like it, then delete it from your hard drive.

Do your own research on artists you like.
Do research on laws in your country about this.

Some countries are ok with sharing tv shows with
p2p as long as the ads are intact. Other countries
seem to currently not care about p2p at all.

JM

Fido

Would most Big Band music still be copyrighted?.... not much interested in
any live musicians.
"Bebop & Rocksteady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

> www.mp3.com
> www.mp3.com.au
> http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=12563
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/nighthawknz.htm
> http://www.soundclick.com

> Quantum Illusions: http://quantum.2ya.com
> Pegasus Mail Support Site: http://pegasus.quantum.2ya.com
> Freeware Site: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com
> DATA Solutions: http://datasolutions.quantum.2ya.com
>
> If you truly want to contact me click the link
> http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

paul s

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:44:11 -0500, Richard wrote:

> "paul s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:boeTa.291$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Fido wrote:
>>
>> > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

>> If it's thru Kazaa or something, then just about all of them will be
>> illegal. Legal content can be had from sites like www.mp3.com, as this has
>> permission of the copyright owners.
>>
>> --
>> Paul S

> And they don't have jack **** in the way of original music by original
> artists as in "oldies".
> All they have is **** music by groups you've never heard of.

I actually found some of them to be quite good, And I use it to discover
stuff I've never heard before.
--
Paul S

Bebop & Rocksteady

>> > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

If it is on a P2P network... 99.9% chance that it is...

>> www.mp3.com
>> www.mp3.com.au
>> http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=12563
>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/nighthawknz.htm
>> http://www.soundclick.com

> Would most Big Band music still be copyrighted?.... not much interested
> in any live musicians.

Many of the big bands have some music on these sites... but don't expect to
have the complete album... many one or two songs from each each album.

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm