Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WAKE-on-LAN doesn't work

WAKE-on-LAN doesn't work

JR

I have an Asus A7V-133 mobo with WinME on PC1.

I have enabled wake-on-LAN in the BIOS but pinging PC1 from other LAN
PCs does not start it.

Other s with Asus A7V or A7V133C mobos in the LAN start OK using
wake-on-LAN and ping.

suggestions?

tia
jd

Dennis C. Cooney

Hello,
One thing you might try is to go to "device manager" select the NIC, look at
it's properties
and see if there is a tab that will allow you to use "wake on LAN". You see
even though you
have enabled in in the BIOS you must also tell the operating system how to
handle it.
Just a thought. Maybe someone else with a better answer will show up with
other
suggestions.

Is this the only network client running Windows ME?
DennisC

<JR> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an Asus A7V-133 mobo with WinME on PC1.
>
> I have enabled wake-on-LAN in the BIOS but pinging PC1 from other LAN
> PCs does not start it.
>
> Other s with Asus A7V or A7V133C mobos in the LAN start OK using
> wake-on-LAN and ping.
>
> suggestions?
>
> tia
> jd

Metaphoid

<JR> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an Asus A7V-133 mobo with WinME on PC1.
>
> I have enabled wake-on-LAN in the BIOS but pinging PC1 from other LAN
> PCs does not start it.
>
> Other s with Asus A7V or A7V133C mobos in the LAN start OK using
> wake-on-LAN and ping.
>
> suggestions?

Silly question, but have you connected the card to the mobo via a WOL
header?

JR

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:09:32 +1000, "Metaphoid"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><JR> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have an Asus A7V-133 mobo with WinME on PC1.
>>
>> I have enabled wake-on-LAN in the BIOS but pinging PC1 from other LAN
>> PCs does not start it.
>>
>> Other s with Asus A7V or A7V133C mobos in the LAN start OK using
>> wake-on-LAN and ping.
>>
>> suggestions?

>Silly question, but have you connected the card to the mobo via a WOL
>header?

wot's a WOL header?

jd

JR

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:49:09 -0700, "Dennis C. Cooney"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>One thing you might try is to go to "device manager" select the NIC, look at
>it's propertiesand see if there is a tab that will allow you to use "wake on LAN". You see
>even though you have enabled in in the BIOS you must also tell the operating system how to
>handle it.

There was no setting there to do what you suggested.

jd

Metaphoid

<JR> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:09:32 +1000, "Metaphoid"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> ><JR> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have an Asus A7V-133 mobo with WinME on PC1.
> >>
> >> I have enabled wake-on-LAN in the BIOS but pinging PC1 from other LAN
> >> PCs does not start it.
> >>
> >> Other s with Asus A7V or A7V133C mobos in the LAN start OK using
> >> wake-on-LAN and ping.
> >>
> >> suggestions?

> >Silly question, but have you connected the card to the mobo via a WOL
> >header?

> wot's a WOL header?

Your motherboard should have a three pin header labelled WOL, or WakeOnLan.
Your network card will have one as well, and you need to run a WOL cable
between the two to enable the function.