Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > VIVO quality on Radeon 9200 Vs 9600

VIVO quality on Radeon 9200 Vs 9600

Gilligan Monger

A mate is after a graphics card with the primary aim of video playback and
capture. Given he only indulges in occasional gaming at 1024*768, I though a
low-mid range VIVO or AIW Radeon should be fine. Given his minimal gaming
requirements, the 128Mb 9200 VIVO at AU$169 (c. US$100) looked a good
proposition. However, as the 128Mb 9600Pro VIVO is available at $325 (c.
$200) it also looked a decent prospect, albeit at twice the price. I also
looked briefly at the Geforce 5600 VIVO's, but given the importance of video
playback and 2d quality, as well as the cooler quieter operation, I thought
the Radeon's look the best bet.

Anyhow, what it boils down to is, will the VIVO performance of the 9600Pro
be any better than that of the 9200? Obviously, the 3d performance of the
9200 will be considerably worse, but at half the price, he's probably
prepared to wear that so long as he can get decent quality captures. I was
under the impression that both use the exact same ATI Theatre chip, but
wasn't sure - can anyone confirm or deny this?

Any advice on obtaining decent quality video capture for as little outlay as
possible is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ieuan Adams

"Gilligan Monger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f1b945d$0$23588$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> A mate is after a graphics card with the primary aim of video playback and
> capture. Given he only indulges in occasional gaming at 1024*768, I though

> low-mid range VIVO or AIW Radeon should be fine. Given his minimal gaming
> requirements, the 128Mb 9200 VIVO at AU$169 (c. US$100) looked a good
> proposition. However, as the 128Mb 9600Pro VIVO is available at $325 (c.
> $200) it also looked a decent prospect, albeit at twice the price. I also
> looked briefly at the Geforce 5600 VIVO's, but given the importance of

video
> playback and 2d quality, as well as the cooler quieter operation, I

thought
> the Radeon's look the best bet.
>
> Anyhow, what it boils down to is, will the VIVO performance of the 9600Pro
> be any better than that of the 9200? Obviously, the 3d performance of the
> 9200 will be considerably worse, but at half the price, he's probably
> prepared to wear that so long as he can get decent quality captures. I was
> under the impression that both use the exact same ATI Theatre chip, but
> wasn't sure - can anyone confirm or deny this?
>
> Any advice on obtaining decent quality video capture for as little outlay

as
> possible is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Don't know if this be of any help but I'll stick my nose in anyway Try
the ATI website (www.ati.com) for the specifications of each card, it might
say which version of the theatre chip each card uses, apologises if that
seems a little obvious and been done already. There's a very good 3rd party
ATI graphics card web site/forum (www.rage3d.com) where people with
considerably more knowledge of ATI cards than most post replies, try asking
there as well. Lastly web sites such as Tom's Hardware Guide
(www.tomshardware.com) often have reviews of these types of cards I suggest
try looking there. The only other thing I could suggest is considering a
Matrox card as well, I understand they have excellent 2d quality picture and
I think a line of cards designed for video work although their 3d
capabilities aren't as good as the ATI I think, but reviews of the cards
should tell you more.
Hope some of this helps,
Ieuan

---