Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU temp?

CPU temp?

Michael Tyler

Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine runs
at 63C, which I think is too hot

BananaPannaPoe

Too hot. Should be around 43.

"Michael Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine runs
> at 63C, which I think is too hot

CJ

Hi,

my 1 G Athlon is @ 57°C and runs without a problem so 63°C sounds OK to me for yours. As
long as your PC runs OK and doesn't hang or crash more than expected then I wouldn't
worry. Remember also that we are going through a heat-wave so your "cold" air to be blown
over the chip is a lot warmer than it would be in winter.

Are you having any particular problems or does it just seem too hot? Remember it is
designed to run at an elevated temp. My alarm threshold on my set-up is 82°C so 63°C is
rather cold!!

CJ

"Michael Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine runs
> at 63C, which I think is too hot

°Mike°

Seems to be a bit hot, to me. Clean out the inside of
your box with a can of compressed air. Check that all
fans are working optimally - replace if necessary.
Apply some Arctic Silver Céramique to the CPU.
http://www.casecooler.com/casecooler/cebyarsi.html

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:39:30 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Michael Tyler scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

CJ

Hi,

where do you get this 43 figure from?

CJ

"BananaPannaPoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LCASa.5736$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Too hot. Should be around 43.
>
> "Michael Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine runs
> > at 63C, which I think is too hot

@}-}-------Rosee

Too hot! Try this cooler:

http://www.outletpc.com/c1921.html
http://www.american-media.com/suppor...ofin_tech.html
http://www.hampton-technologies.com/Microfin.htm

This IS a cheaper($18US) heatsink and fan but was the only one, besides
the more expensive copper ones, that cooled a 1.1 ghz Athlon chip for a PC
that I had built. Before using this cooler the chip was 50°C, which is
too hot. With the MicroFin, it is now 41°C. I would think you could find
one like this in the UK.

This PC now SCREAMS!!!!!!!!...;o)

"Michael Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the
following words news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine
> runs at 63C, which I think is too hot

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

Blinky the Shark

CJ wrote:

> my 1 G Athlon is @ 57°C and runs without a problem so 63°C sounds OK to me for yours. As
> long as your PC runs OK and doesn't hang or crash more than expected then I wouldn't
> worry. Remember also that we are going through a heat-wave so your "cold" air to be blown
> over the chip is a lot warmer than it would be in winter.

Another datapoint, similar CPU:

1.1-gig Athlon
Ambient temp: 30degC
CPU: 33degC

Hardware: all-copper heatsink, 7700rpm fan
std PS fan, blows out
80mm front case fan, blows out
120mm blow-hole fan in tower side, over CPU area, blows in

--
Blinky Linux RU 297263
Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/bpledge

Blinky the Shark

Michael Tyler wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the temperature range for 1.3 G Athlon chip. mine runs
> at 63C, which I think is too hot

Unless you're working it out hard, that seems high. See my other post,
this thread, for datapoint on my roughly comparable chip. (Granted,
since you don't state anything about your cooling hardware, you're
probably running whatever came with your system (or CPU if you build)).

--
Blinky Linux RU 297263
Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/bpledge
Digest: Best of Internet Oracularities http://snurl.com/dig_oracle

°Mike°

Hi, stranger! )

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:13:58 -0500, in
<Xns93BE86C77F46Eroseeneener@206.127.4.10>
@}-}-------Rosee scrawled:

>Too hot! Try this cooler:

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Hiya Sweetie! How are ya?

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following
words news:(E-Mail Removed):

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm