Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WPCREDIT/WPCRSET & BIOS on Iwill KK266-r

WPCREDIT/WPCRSET & BIOS on Iwill KK266-r

Gilligan Monger

I own an Iwill KK266-r, and have always used WPCRSET to permanently change
register 52 to the value EB to decrease idle temps on my my Athlon 1.33Ghz
from around 45 degrees to around 30 degrees. I've been using the 03-07-01
BIOS which was very stable of Win 98se, but having upgraded to a WinXP
platform, have found that I get a lot of instability issues, especially
during video playback. As such I was going to try some of the more recent
issues, particularly the well-received Luckydaze versions. Has anyone used
these, and if so can they recommend one which works well with XP, and tell
me whether or not they come equipped with the register52 cooling hack?

Thanks in advance.

yugsdrawkcab

Gilligan Monger wrote:

> I own an Iwill KK266-r, and have always used WPCRSET to permanently change
> register 52 to the value EB to decrease idle temps on my my Athlon 1.33Ghz
> from around 45 degrees to around 30 degrees. I've been using the 03-07-01
> BIOS which was very stable of Win 98se, but having upgraded to a WinXP
> platform, have found that I get a lot of instability issues, especially
> during video playback. As such I was going to try some of the more recent
> issues, particularly the well-received Luckydaze versions. Has anyone used
> these, and if so can they recommend one which works well with XP, and tell
> me whether or not they come equipped with the register52 cooling hack?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The register 52 cooling "hack" is nothing more than forcing idle loop.
You can get the same results with software, like V-Cool, CPU-Cool, Rain
and the like. The best solution is to ensure the computer case has
adequate airflow and that you have a proper heatsink and fan on processor.