Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Backdoor.Winet Trojan Virus Help

Backdoor.Winet Trojan Virus Help

KLS

Hi everyone, my Norton detected this virus (Backdoor.Winet)today, but said
it could not delete or repair it, so I went to the Norton site and followed
the instructions to delete the virus by going into the registry. I found the
files, and deleted them from the registry, but it is still being detected by
Norton as being on my computer. Any suggestions or sites that could help?
Thanks in advance! Koreena

Dan Shackelford

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:47:27 -0400, KLS wrote:

> Hi everyone, my Norton detected this virus (Backdoor.Winet)today, but said
> it could not delete or repair it, so I went to the Norton site and followed
> the instructions to delete the virus by going into the registry. I found the
> files, and deleted them from the registry, but it is still being detected by
> Norton as being on my computer. Any suggestions or sites that could help?
> Thanks in advance! Koreena

Perhaps it is still in your "restore file" if you are using ME or XP? If
you reboot, does it, or does it not reappear in your registry? If it does
not reappear, then most likely it has been backed up onto your "restore".

Dennis C. Cooney. MCSE

Hello,
Dan is "right on". Try this. Go to www.symantec.com and follow the link to
the anti-virus center. Look up this
nasty thing and see if they have a downloadable fix for it. If so, download
it and save to a floppy.
Disable "System restore". Note: how to do this is in your Windows Help file
on the programs menu.
Reboot into "Safe Mode" and run the fix tool. It should clean your hard
drive and the Restore Partition plus
clean out the registry.
Reboot back into Windows XP. Re-enable system restore.
Operate normally!

Happy Computing
DennisC

"Dan Shackelford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:47:27 -0400, KLS wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone, my Norton detected this virus (Backdoor.Winet)today, but

said
> > it could not delete or repair it, so I went to the Norton site and

followed
> > the instructions to delete the virus by going into the registry. I found

the
> > files, and deleted them from the registry, but it is still being

detected by
> > Norton as being on my computer. Any suggestions or sites that could

help?
> > Thanks in advance! Koreena

> Perhaps it is still in your "restore file" if you are using ME or XP? If
> you reboot, does it, or does it not reappear in your registry? If it does
> not reappear, then most likely it has been backed up onto your "restore".

KLS

Yes, I have XP and that is what's happening. How do I fix that?
"Dan Shackelford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:47:27 -0400, KLS wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone, my Norton detected this virus (Backdoor.Winet)today, but

said
> > it could not delete or repair it, so I went to the Norton site and

followed
> > the instructions to delete the virus by going into the registry. I found

the
> > files, and deleted them from the registry, but it is still being

detected by
> > Norton as being on my computer. Any suggestions or sites that could

help?
> > Thanks in advance! Koreena

> Perhaps it is still in your "restore file" if you are using ME or XP? If
> you reboot, does it, or does it not reappear in your registry? If it does
> not reappear, then most likely it has been backed up onto your "restore".

KLS

Thanks so much everyone! What a pain, I am going to the link and see if I
can get it taken care of! You guys are great! Koreena