Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why can't I open MS Word?

Why can't I open MS Word?

Philip Breeze-Lamb

Every time I try to open Word the error message "this program has performed
an illegal operation and will be shut down" comes up. In the details it
says WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in module WINWORD.EXE. Help!

░Mike░

Close down Word and delete the normal.dot file. Reboot.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:58:41 +0100, in
<7jZRa.1679$(E-Mail Removed)>
Philip Breeze-Lamb scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Alexander Rogge

> Every time I try to open Word the error message "this program has performed
> an illegal operation and will be shut down" comes up.

Try using better software:
http://www.openoffice.org/

Phil

Alexander Rogge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bfbobn$nr3$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Every time I try to open Word the error message "this program has
>> performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" comes up.

> Try using better software:
> http://www.openoffice.org/

How would that help the OP to open Word?

Philip Breeze-Lamb

Thanks! You're a genius - it worked!

"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Close down Word and delete the normal.dot file. Reboot.
>

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:58:41 +0100, in
> <7jZRa.1679$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Philip Breeze-Lamb scrawled:
>
> >Every time I try to open Word the error message "this program has

performed
> >an illegal operation and will be shut down" comes up. In the details it
> >says WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in module WINWORD.EXE. Help!
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Phil

Alexander Rogge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bfcchg$fsq$1
@bob.news.rcn.net:

>>>http://www.openoffice.org/

>> How would that help the OP to open Word?

> It will help to remove the dependence on Microsoft's proprietary,
> unstable, and bloated software.
>
> http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/wp.html

Ah. Got it.

Alexander Rogge

>>http://www.openoffice.org/
>
> How would that help the OP to open Word?

It will help to remove the dependence on Microsoft's proprietary,
unstable, and bloated software.

http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/wp.html

░Mike░

You're squaimed. [1]

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:38:29 +0100, in
<g6iSa.2629$(E-Mail Removed)>
Philip Breeze-Lamb scrawled:

>Thanks! You're a genius - it worked!
>
>"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Close down Word and delete the normal.dot file. Reboot.

<snip>

--
[1] See: news:(E-Mail Removed)

Auric__

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:17:26 +0000, Alexander Rogge
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>http://www.openoffice.org/

>> How would that help the OP to open Word?

>It will help to remove the dependence on Microsoft's proprietary,
>unstable, and bloated software.
>
>http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/wp.html

But what if he already has Word and doesn't want to take the time to
download 60+ MB just to write a letter?

While I agree with the "free" part, there's also a lot to be said for
the "already got it" part. I use MS Office 2000 instead of a free
office suite - not because it's better, easier, or anything, but
because I'm used to all (well, most) of it's quirks and foibles, and I
don't care to take the time to get used to another company's quirks
and foibles.

And yes, I've tried several free suites, notably Software 602,
StarOffice, and AbiWord., and several non-free ones, including Corel
WP & Lotus... uh... something (been a while). Didn't really like any
of them.
--
auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com

William Poaster

This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:40:27
-0700, gangle uttered this:

>Yeppers, the change of pace is far less nerve-wracking.

I rather like the "You're enterageeciatedlyable" version, myself....

Makes a nice fluctuvertion, don't you think?

"Or is that too moderorphosed?"