Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Audio recording

Audio recording

Bill Dobbs

I know this is not the correct newsgroup for this topic, and I did post it
in the appropriate one, but it really doesn't get a lot of traffic. I
decided to post it here to see if someone might have an answer.

I started recording some of my old LP's to put on CD's, and have discovered
that the left channel has a lot less volume than the right. I reversed the
wires to the preamp to eliminate it as possibly being the problem. I also
tried it on another computer.

I have had this turntable for many years, but it hasn't been used for many
years either. The cartridge is an Audio Empire, which as I remember, was a
pretty good cartridge. I removed the stylus and cleaned it, but it had no
noticeable affect. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than replacing
the
cartridge? I guess I really don't know what to expect, thinking channel
separation from the old LP's might make both channels sound much the same,
rather than the difference in volume.

Bill

NetRanger

I know nothing about LP players. I used to have something similar to yours.
I didn't really fix it but let it go through a mixer to make it balance.
hope it helps,
Eric

"Bill Dobbs" <bill_dobbs2000@REMOVE_THISyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know this is not the correct newsgroup for this topic, and I did post it
> in the appropriate one, but it really doesn't get a lot of traffic. I
> decided to post it here to see if someone might have an answer.
>
> I started recording some of my old LP's to put on CD's, and have

discovered
> that the left channel has a lot less volume than the right. I reversed

the
> wires to the preamp to eliminate it as possibly being the problem. I also
> tried it on another computer.
>
> I have had this turntable for many years, but it hasn't been used for many
> years either. The cartridge is an Audio Empire, which as I remember, was

> pretty good cartridge. I removed the stylus and cleaned it, but it had no
> noticeable affect. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than replacing
> the
> cartridge? I guess I really don't know what to expect, thinking channel
> separation from the old LP's might make both channels sound much the same,
> rather than the difference in volume.
>

> Bill

Michael

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bill Dobbs said:

> I know this is not the correct newsgroup for this topic, and I did
> post it in the appropriate one, but it really doesn't get a lot of
> traffic. I decided to post it here to see if someone might have an
> answer.
>
> I started recording some of my old LP's to put on CD's, and have
> discovered that the left channel has a lot less volume than the
> right. I reversed the wires to the preamp to eliminate it as
> possibly being the problem. I also tried it on another computer.
>
> I have had this turntable for many years, but it hasn't been used for
> many years either. The cartridge is an Audio Empire, which as I
> remember, was a pretty good cartridge. I removed the stylus and
> cleaned it, but it had no noticeable affect. Does anyone have any
> suggestions, other than replacing the
> cartridge? I guess I really don't know what to expect, thinking
> channel separation from the old LP's might make both channels sound
> much the same, rather than the difference in volume.
>

> Bill

1) You *are* using a stereo (3 conductor) cable to connect it to your
computer, right?

2) You need to put an amplifier (not just an impedance-match preamp) in
between the turntable and the computer. The output voltage and of a
turntable is too low for reliable transcription through a computer's audio
input.

((U))

thund3rstruck_n0i

"Bill Dobbs" <bill_dobbs2000@REMOVE_THISyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know this is not the correct newsgroup for this topic, and I did post it
> in the appropriate one, but it really doesn't get a lot of traffic. I
> decided to post it here to see if someone might have an answer.
>
> I started recording some of my old LP's to put on CD's, and have

discovered
> that the left channel has a lot less volume than the right. I reversed

the
> wires to the preamp to eliminate it as possibly being the problem. I also
> tried it on another computer.
>
> I have had this turntable for many years, but it hasn't been used for many
> years either. The cartridge is an Audio Empire, which as I remember, was

> pretty good cartridge. I removed the stylus and cleaned it, but it had no
> noticeable affect. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than replacing
> the
> cartridge? I guess I really don't know what to expect, thinking channel
> separation from the old LP's might make both channels sound much the same,
> rather than the difference in volume.

Bill, who made the turntable? How old is it? When you switch the inputs to
the preamp, did the problem change speakers, or stay on the same one? Have
you checked the wires (If any) going to the cartridge, to make sure they're
on?

I'm sure I'm forgetting something else to ask. Been 5 years since I worked
on one. <G>

NOI

paul s

Michael wrote:

> In <news:(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bill Dobbs said:
>
>> I know this is not the correct newsgroup for this topic, and I did
>> post it in the appropriate one, but it really doesn't get a lot of
>> traffic. I decided to post it here to see if someone might have an
>> answer.
>>
>> I started recording some of my old LP's to put on CD's, and have
>> discovered that the left channel has a lot less volume than the
>> right. I reversed the wires to the preamp to eliminate it as
>> possibly being the problem. I also tried it on another computer.
>>
>> I have had this turntable for many years, but it hasn't been used for
>> many years either. The cartridge is an Audio Empire, which as I
>> remember, was a pretty good cartridge. I removed the stylus and
>> cleaned it, but it had no noticeable affect. Does anyone have any
>> suggestions, other than replacing the
>> cartridge? I guess I really don't know what to expect, thinking
>> channel separation from the old LP's might make both channels sound
>> much the same, rather than the difference in volume.
>>

>> Bill

> 1) You *are* using a stereo (3 conductor) cable to connect it to your
> computer, right?
>
> 2) You need to put an amplifier (not just an impedance-match preamp) in
> between the turntable and the computer. The output voltage and of a
> turntable is too low for reliable transcription through a computer's audio
> input.

A pre-amp is a impedance matching, RIAA equalizing and amplifying device.
High-impedance magnetic cartridge to low-impedance ouput suitable for a
power-amp, line-in on soundcard, etc. The deck I use has one built in, I
just plug the deck into the line-in on my SB Live! with a phono to stereo
mini-jack adaptor, and record away.
--
Paul S