Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Speakers (Altec Lansing)

Speakers (Altec Lansing)

Moody Marco

I just bought some Altec Lansing AT4 speakers on ebay. However, when I
checked up some more on them, one of the reviews said:

"The speakers were very easy to set up, but they do require that you have
two ports each for the front and rear outputs. No adapter is provided for
the most common Dolby Digital output used on Sound Blaster Live! cards."

My Dell has an integrated AD1980 6 channel audio card and it says this has a
2 channel analog output. Do you have any idea what kind of adaptor I would
need to buy to hook this up???

Many thanks

paul s

Moody Marco wrote:

> I just bought some Altec Lansing AT4 speakers on ebay. However, when I
> checked up some more on them, one of the reviews said:
>
> "The speakers were very easy to set up, but they do require that you have
> two ports each for the front and rear outputs. No adapter is provided for
> the most common Dolby Digital output used on Sound Blaster Live! cards."
>
> My Dell has an integrated AD1980 6 channel audio card and it says this has
> a 2 channel analog output. Do you have any idea what kind of adaptor I
> would need to buy to hook this up???

Those speakers require a 4 channel *analogue* output, 1 jack for front, 1
jack for rear. Something like a SB 4.1, Live!, or Audigy would drive them
OK. You could use a Y-adaptor from Radio Shack or similar, but then you
wouldn't get true 4 channel sound.

The AD1980 '6 channel' bit comes into use when your using *digital* out.
--
Paul S