Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > newsgroup locking up computer

newsgroup locking up computer

..::Doc Von Rock:..

Hi,

Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario

Back with another headscratcher.

I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of the
others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE most of
the time.

ctrl/alt/del
OE (program not responding).

Thanks,
...:oc Von Rock::..

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as ..:oc Von Rock:..
continued:

> Hi,
>
> Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
>
> Back with another headscratcher.
>
> I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of
> the others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
> newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE
> most of the time.
>
> ctrl/alt/del
> OE (program not responding).
>
> Thanks,
> ..:oc Von Rock::..

File/Folder/Compact all folders.
--
slumpy
no more

PC-Component.com

"..:oc Von Rock:.." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:dCjQa.1708$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Hi,
>
> Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
>
> Back with another headscratcher.
>
> I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of
> the others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
> newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE
> most of the time.
>
> ctrl/alt/del
> OE (program not responding).
>
> Thanks,
> ..:oc Von Rock::..

Use a better newsreader than Outlook Express, like Xnews -
http://xnews.newsguy.com

--
-=/ www.PC-Component.com /=-
Parts & Service

°Mike°

Your 'folders.dbx' may be damaged. Close down O.E and rename
your folders.dbx file to folders.old, re-open O.E. and turn
off 'Compact in the background' in Tools / Options / Maintenance.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:50:17 GMT, in
<dCjQa.1708$(E-Mail Removed)>
..:oc Von Rock:.. scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Nutscrape is probably THE worst reader if you ever want to
download binaries.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:24:32 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Me2U scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Richard

"..:oc Von Rock:.." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dCjQa.1708$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
>
> Back with another headscratcher.
>
> I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of the
> others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
> newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE most

of
> the time.
>
> ctrl/alt/del
> OE (program not responding).
>
> Thanks,
> ..:oc Von Rock::..

Delete your cache files. Specially for that group. You can always subscribe
to the groups later.
scandisk and defrag.
cache files are like 24hoursupport.helpdesk.dbx.
Scandisk and defrag on a regular basis.

Another thing you can do is to not store message bodies.
In order to do this, you need to turn on "compact messages in background",
which some suggest you never do, then check the box just below it.

tools/options/maintenance tab.

having done this, I have never had a problem with OE freezing or crashing.

Brenadier Jehosephat

"Me2U" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Download Netscape 4.8 or above and use it instead. Works great for

newsgroups.

I killfile anyone who uses Netscape.

Michael

Richard wrote:

> "Brenadier Jehosephat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9slQa.480$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Me2U" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Download Netscape 4.8 or above and use it instead. Works great for
>>> newsgroups.

>> I killfile anyone who uses Netscape.
>>

> I killfile all users of usenet.

Did you reply to this by telepathy, then?

Brian H¹©

Richard said:

> "Brenadier Jehosephat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9slQa.480$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Me2U" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Download Netscape 4.8 or above and use it instead. Works great for
>>> newsgroups.

>> I killfile anyone who uses Netscape.
>>

> I killfile all users of usenet.

What a shame you still haven't gotten round to drinking that bottle of bleach.

..::Doc Von Rock:..

...:oc Von Rock:.. scribbled with crayon:

: Hi,
:
: Outlook Express6 win98 ie6 Compaq Presario
:
: Back with another headscratcher.
:
: I subscribe to 10 newsgroups. I have no problem getting in and out of
: the others, but when I try and exit this newsgroup, to go into another
: newsgroup, OE will lock up on me. I also have a hard time exiting OE
: most of the time.
:
: ctrl/alt/del
: OE (program not responding).
:
: Thanks,
: ..:oc Von Rock::..

Well, I compacted my folders and renamed my Folders.dbx to Folders.old and
I still only have the problem when I try to go to another newsgroup from
this one. I even changed one of the settings to only get 200 headers at a
time.
?