Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help..Partition magic made my partition disappear into oblivion

Help..Partition magic made my partition disappear into oblivion

Pierre Jarry

Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes!).
Now there is 6Gb of space missing on the disk that doesn't even show
up as unallocated space...
The Bios, PM and Sisoft Sandra all report the full drive size but
report nevertheless the available space as being 6Gb short of what it
ought to be...
XP and CHKDSK, unfortunately only see the "reduced size".
PM from XP or Rescue floppy doens't see anything wrong otherwise and
everything works....
It looks like the FAT is confused as to where the last sector of the
disk is....

Does anyone know of a way to "fix" this...a utility...a non
destructive formating...whatever...??

Any help would be appreciated.

Pierre

Me2U

Plenty of pages at Google about recovering deleted partition tables.

LINK

Pierre Jarry wrote:

> Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
> 50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
> frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes!).
> Now there is 6Gb of space missing on the disk that doesn't even show
> up as unallocated space...
> The Bios, PM and Sisoft Sandra all report the full drive size but
> report nevertheless the available space as being 6Gb short of what it
> ought to be...
> XP and CHKDSK, unfortunately only see the "reduced size".
> PM from XP or Rescue floppy doens't see anything wrong otherwise and
> everything works....
> It looks like the FAT is confused as to where the last sector of the
> disk is....
>
> Does anyone know of a way to "fix" this...a utility...a non
> destructive formating...whatever...??
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Pierre

Pierre Jarry

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:33:00 GMT, Me2U <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>--------------7E09D78716A7FD3124377F7E
>
>Plenty of pages at Google about recovering deleted partition tables.
>
>LINK

I've looked and (hoping that I'm wrong) it looks like those utilities
woudn't be any good for my situation since in my case, the missing
"partition" is not within another partition space...not even
"unallocated" space....it's become outside of where these utilities
would consider looking....and there is no data as such that I'm trying
to recover...just lost space...
Although "Winhex" demo looked promising, even though the demo can't
"save" cluster parameter changes, and is not cheap.

Pierre

>Pierre Jarry wrote:
>
>> Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
>> 50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
>> frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes!).
>> Now there is 6Gb of space missing on the disk that doesn't even show
>> up as unallocated space...
>> The Bios, PM and Sisoft Sandra all report the full drive size but
>> report nevertheless the available space as being 6Gb short of what it
>> ought to be...
>> XP and CHKDSK, unfortunately only see the "reduced size".
>> PM from XP or Rescue floppy doens't see anything wrong otherwise and
>> everything works....
>> It looks like the FAT is confused as to where the last sector of the
>> disk is....
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to "fix" this...a utility...a non
>> destructive formating...whatever...??
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Pierre

>--------------7E09D78716A7FD3124377F7E
>
><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>Plenty of pages at Google about recovering deleted partition tables.
>patition with the
>it
>
>--------------7E09D78716A7FD3124377F7E--

Pierre Jarry

Well, I've watched the Expos there when I lived in Montreal...have
been in New Zealand for 19 years though...
I've installed Clean Disk Security...can see the nice Hex
numbers...now what...?

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:24:43 -0400, the real TOMMY Tutalidge
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are you from jarry park? Install "Clean Disk Security" and click on view
>this will give a read out of the hard drive in Hex, Ascii and Decimal
>Form as well as all disk information.
>
>Pierre Jarry wrote:
>
>> Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
>> 50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
>> frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes!).
>> Now there is 6Gb of space missing on the disk that doesn't even show
>> up as unallocated space...
>> The Bios, PM and Sisoft Sandra all report the full drive size but
>> report nevertheless the available space as being 6Gb short of what it
>> ought to be...
>> XP and CHKDSK, unfortunately only see the "reduced size".
>> PM from XP or Rescue floppy doens't see anything wrong otherwise and
>> everything works....
>> It looks like the FAT is confused as to where the last sector of the
>> disk is....
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to "fix" this...a utility...a non
>> destructive formating...whatever...??
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Pierre

Oxford Systems

"Pierre Jarry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
> 50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
> frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes!).

Just wanted to say that the problem was more likely you and your reboot than
it was PM. On large drives (and 50 GB counts as a "large"drive), PM may
appear to "freeze" even while it works. It's even part of their FAQ. The
thing that screws up is users rebooting because of a "frozen" program that
isn't frozen. When you are messing around with partitions, let the software
alone for as long as it takes. Anything else is begging for trouble.

Miggsee

Try this:
In XP, go into Administrative tools> Computer Management> Disk Management.
Right click on the disk in question, and choose your options. Use your Help
and Support files if in doubt.

"Pierre Jarry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
> 50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
> frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes!).
> Now there is 6Gb of space missing on the disk that doesn't even show
> up as unallocated space...
> The Bios, PM and Sisoft Sandra all report the full drive size but
> report nevertheless the available space as being 6Gb short of what it
> ought to be...
> XP and CHKDSK, unfortunately only see the "reduced size".
> PM from XP or Rescue floppy doens't see anything wrong otherwise and
> everything works....
> It looks like the FAT is confused as to where the last sector of the
> disk is....
>
> Does anyone know of a way to "fix" this...a utility...a non
> destructive formating...whatever...??
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Pierre

Pierre Jarry

I agree, I should have waited ( I waited 30 mins with the mouse not
responding at all, and the HD LED not flashing and no noise from the
HD..this is in DOS mode PM from the rescue disk)...I could have tried
the NumLock key LED apparently.