Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Wordpad

Re: Wordpad

Merlin

"Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have received an E-Mail that is a .doc file extension. This file is
> supposed to open in Wordpad. An attempt to open it gives an Illegal

Operation
> message as follows:
>
> "Wordpad has caused an invalid page fault
> module MSWRD832.CNV at 026f:0140f6d5."
>
> I am using Win98SE and IE6

The suffix >doc means it is an MS Word file & you will need this program to
open it.
The only other convenient way is to use Quick View if you have it installed,
however, to the best of my knowledge this is a read only app. ie you won't
be able to do anything to change it.
To do this right click on the file & choose Quick View from the options
presented. If you can't see it you don't have it installed.

Good luck
Merlin

Bob H

I have Quick Time installed but do not see anything called Quick View
"Merlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f0ddaee$0$11380$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have received an E-Mail that is a .doc file extension. This file is
> > supposed to open in Wordpad. An attempt to open it gives an Illegal

> Operation
> > message as follows:
> >
> > "Wordpad has caused an invalid page fault
> > module MSWRD832.CNV at 026f:0140f6d5."
> >
> > I am using Win98SE and IE6
> >

> The suffix >doc means it is an MS Word file & you will need this program to
> open it.
> The only other convenient way is to use Quick View if you have it

installed,
> however, to the best of my knowledge this is a read only app. ie you won't
> be able to do anything to change it.
> To do this right click on the file & choose Quick View from the options
> presented. If you can't see it you don't have it installed.
>
> Good luck
> Merlin

bb3

"Merlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f0ddaee$0$11380$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have received an E-Mail that is a .doc file extension. This file is
> > supposed to open in Wordpad. An attempt to open it gives an Illegal

> Operation
> > message as follows:
> >
> > "Wordpad has caused an invalid page fault
> > module MSWRD832.CNV at 026f:0140f6d5."
> >
> > I am using Win98SE and IE6
> >

> The suffix >doc means it is an MS Word file & you will need this program

> open it.

Not so. The default "Open File" type for Wordpad is *.doc . Word files
open fine using it.

<snip>

Merlin

"bb3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4TlPa.48745$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Merlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f0ddaee$0$11380$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> >
> > "Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have received an E-Mail that is a .doc file extension. This file is
> > > supposed to open in Wordpad. An attempt to open it gives an Illegal

> > Operation
> > > message as follows:

> Not so. The default "Open File" type for Wordpad is *.doc . Word files
> open fine using it.

Do you know I think you are absolutely Write!
The old suffix was always *.wrt but, since I don't use Write I've aquired
this mod on some windows update.
Apologies to all, I'm getting old!

Merlin