Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: NTLDR

Re: NTLDR

Unk

"sys c:" was very bad advice. That is for Win9x.
It causes the boot block to look for "Msdos.sys" instead of "Ntdetect.com"

A quick, TEMPORY, fix is to format a floppy on a good XP machine, and
copy "Boot.ini", "Ntdetect.com", "Ntldr" to it. Boot your system with the
floppy in the drive.. For a permanent fix........

Repair the Boot Sector using the Recovery console on the CD.
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How to Repair the Boot Sector:
(Copy & paste the ENTIRE above line into the url box)

To repair a damaged Boot Sector, run the Recovery console from the CD. At
the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Unk

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:29:51 -0500, "J C Ames" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Windows xp pro
> I moved my comp to a new room the other day & after that disaster set in.
> Upon booting got the message "ntldr missing" so screwed with it for a
>few hours with no luck.Changed to a different hdd (also w xp pro) with same
>results so did more looking around & found this
>Solutions:
>To resolve the error message "NTLDR is Missing" follow the below steps:
>
> 1.. Boot the computer with a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Startup diskette
>or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it.
> 2.. At the A:\> prompt type:
>
> sys c: <press enter>
>

> 3.. After pressing enter you should receive the prompt "System
>Transferred". Once the file system has been transferred reboot the computer
>without the diskette and attempt to reproduce the error.
>so I did it & after booting the screen flashed a win 98
>logo & then the C: prompt in dos was on rthe screen.
>Now I have a hdd than has no ntldr & one that boots to dos although the os
>is w xp pro
> Anyone have advice on one or both ?
> Help is appreciated

J C Ames

I think this will work but I'm gonna need some time so will let you know the
results
Thanks very much for the info

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> >Windows xp pro
> > I moved my comp to a new room the other day & after that disaster set

in.
> > Upon booting got the message "ntldr missing" so screwed with it for a
> >few hours with no luck.Changed to a different hdd (also w xp pro) with

same
> >results so did more looking around & found this
> >Solutions:
> >To resolve the error message "NTLDR is Missing" follow the below steps:
> >
> > 1.. Boot the computer with a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Startup

diskette
> >or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it.
> > 2.. At the A:\> prompt type:
> >
> > sys c: <press enter>
> >

> > 3.. After pressing enter you should receive the prompt "System
> >Transferred". Once the file system has been transferred reboot the

computer
> >without the diskette and attempt to reproduce the error.
> >so I did it & after booting the screen flashed a win 98
> >logo & then the C: prompt in dos was on rthe screen.
> >Now I have a hdd than has no ntldr & one that boots to dos although the

os
> >is w xp pro
> > Anyone have advice on one or both ?
> > Help is appreciated