Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computers not registering with Master Browser

Computers not registering with Master Browser

JD

I have several Windows 2000 Pro laptops that do not register themselves with
the master browser on the same segment. I have tried the "browstat
announce" command from the resource kit with no success. It is not a name
resolution issue as the clients can pull down the browse list, and they can
resolve the master browser as well as all backup browsers. I have ruled out
the master browser as fault, by switching the master duties to another
server, as well I have many other computers registered from this segment. I
think it must be a registry setting or lacking service that causes the
problem. . These were all built to corporate specs and may have had
modifications that caused this problem. All the problem clients are
identical in hardware and set-up. Can anyone please tell me a setting that
will help. Thanks

ooyah

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k5gPa.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have several Windows 2000 Pro laptops that do not register themselves

with
> the master browser on the same segment. I have tried the "browstat
> announce" command from the resource kit with no success. It is not a name
> resolution issue as the clients can pull down the browse list, and they

can
> resolve the master browser as well as all backup browsers. I have ruled

out
> the master browser as fault, by switching the master duties to another
> server, as well I have many other computers registered from this segment.

> think it must be a registry setting or lacking service that causes the
> problem. . These were all built to corporate specs and may have had
> modifications that caused this problem. All the problem clients are
> identical in hardware and set-up. Can anyone please tell me a setting that
> will help. Thanks

hello

do you have entries in wins for the master browsers of the domains that the
laptops are members of?

regardss

ooyah

"ooyah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1NhPa.8084$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k5gPa.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have several Windows 2000 Pro laptops that do not register themselves

> with
> > the master browser on the same segment. I have tried the "browstat
> > announce" command from the resource kit with no success. It is not a

name
> > resolution issue as the clients can pull down the browse list, and they

> can
> > resolve the master browser as well as all backup browsers. I have ruled

> out
> > the master browser as fault, by switching the master duties to another
> > server, as well I have many other computers registered from this

segment.
> > think it must be a registry setting or lacking service that causes the
> > problem. . These were all built to corporate specs and may have had
> > modifications that caused this problem. All the problem clients are
> > identical in hardware and set-up. Can anyone please tell me a setting

that
> > will help. Thanks
> >

> hello
>
> do you have entries in wins for the master browsers of the domains that

the
> laptops are members of?
>
> regards

hello again

forgot to say following on from before.........and the laptops are properly
configuredc for wins and netbios for tcp/ip is enabled via dhcp or manually
( depends if you give out your client ip details or not )

regards

ooyah

hello

yep, i think it must be a client problem, when the laptops are booted and
are up and running they should broadcast saying 'hello i'm over here', once
the master browser receives these broadcasts it should add the laptops to
the browser list, the back up browsers will then ask the master browser for
the browser list etc,etc

however you said that other computers are being added to the browser list by
the master browser, so clearly these laptops are not broadcasting - but why?

the laptop computers will use the server service to make these broadcasts,
make sure this services is there, set to automatically start and is started

apart from that i'm not to sure what else to suggest, if your back end is
set up is and the set up of all the clients are configured the same

regards

news:09iPa.10$(E-Mail Removed)...