Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I use a BIN file?

How do I use a BIN file?

NoOne

I just downloaded a game from Kazaa, but it's a BIN file.
Can anyone tell me....
How do I get it onto a CD-R so I can play it?
And, which program do I use?

I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and CloneCD installed. Are these any good for
this job?
I use Win XP Pro.

Thanks.
Geo.

Ionizer

You'll need the .cue file associated with that .bin file. This is how to
burn it using Nero- EasyCD must have a similar procedure:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/nerobin.htm If you don't have the cue file you can
apparently create one yoursel, but don't ask me how. Another alternative if
you don't have the cue file is:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/download.php

HTH,
Ian.

"NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news5cPa.16543$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just downloaded a game from Kazaa, but it's a BIN file.
> Can anyone tell me....
> How do I get it onto a CD-R so I can play it?
> And, which program do I use?
>
> I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and CloneCD installed. Are these any good

for
> this job?
> I use Win XP Pro.
>
> Thanks.
> Geo.

Ionizer

"paul s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F9jPa.7618$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ionizer wrote:
>
> > You'll need the .cue file associated with that .bin file. This is how

> > burn it using Nero- EasyCD must have a similar procedure:
> > http://www.dvdrhelp.com/nerobin.htm If you don't have the cue file you
> > can
> > apparently create one yoursel, but don't ask me how.

> A nero .cue file looks like:
>
> FILE "filename.bin" BINARY
> TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
> INDEX 01 00:00:00
> POSTGAP 00:02:00
> --
> Paul S

It's that simple? I knew I'd seen info on it previously and tried to find a
link before responding to the original poster but couldn't locate one. I
thought it was slightly more complicated than that, somehow. Could you
possibly provide a helpful instructional link? I always like to pretend
that I grasp the "why" before I try new things.

Thanks,
Ian.

paul s

Ionizer wrote:

> "paul s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:F9jPa.7618$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ionizer wrote:
>>
>> > You'll need the .cue file associated with that .bin file. This is how

>> > burn it using Nero- EasyCD must have a similar procedure:
>> > http://www.dvdrhelp.com/nerobin.htm If you don't have the cue file you
>> > can
>> > apparently create one yoursel, but don't ask me how.

>> A nero .cue file looks like:
>>
>> FILE "filename.bin" BINARY
>> TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
>> INDEX 01 00:00:00
>> POSTGAP 00:02:00
>> --
>> Paul S

> It's that simple? I knew I'd seen info on it previously and tried to find
> link before responding to the original poster but couldn't locate one. I
> thought it was slightly more complicated than that, somehow. Could you
> possibly provide a helpful instructional link? I always like to pretend
> that I grasp the "why" before I try new things.

Try these:
http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/ar..._with_nero.cfm
http://www.weethet.nl/english/cdrw_usingnero_bincue.php

A .cue file just tells Nero, what .bin file to use, what mode to burn the CD
in, and how to layout the CD.

BTW that above sample .cue file was pulled from a Linux CD image file I
downloaded weeks ago.

--
Paul S

Ionizer

Many thanks, Paul. I've filed those pages away for future (soon!)
reference.

Regards,
Ian.

"paul s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%akPa.7700$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try these:
> http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/ar..._with_nero.cfm
> http://www.weethet.nl/english/cdrw_usingnero_bincue.php
>
> A .cue file just tells Nero, what .bin file to use, what mode to burn the

CD
> in, and how to layout the CD.
>
> BTW that above sample .cue file was pulled from a Linux CD image file I
> downloaded weeks ago.
>
> --
> Paul S

sethra

"NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news5cPa.16543$(E-Mail Removed):

> I just downloaded a game from Kazaa, but it's a BIN file.
> Can anyone tell me....
> How do I get it onto a CD-R so I can play it?
> And, which program do I use?
>
> I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and CloneCD installed. Are these any
> good for this job?
> I use Win XP Pro.
>
> Thanks.
> Geo.

If you don't have the corresponding .cue file, ISOBust it and burn the
contents of the image manually, just like a regular data cd.

ISOBuster
http://www.isobuster.com

HTH

--
~sethra

Sonnsa Beechis

> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news5cPa.16543$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I just downloaded a game from Kazaa, but it's a BIN file.
>> Can anyone tell me....
>> How do I get it onto a CD-R so I can play it?
>> And, which program do I use?
>>
>> I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and CloneCD installed. Are these
>> any good

> for
>> this job?
>> I use Win XP Pro.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Geo.

What you need to do in a situation such as this is to carefully open the BIN
wrapper and remove its contents. Then follow package instructions.

Sonnsa