Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is Windows ME the same as Windows 2000?

Is Windows ME the same as Windows 2000?

fitwell

Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?

Thanks.

Santiago Zawojski

fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is Windows ME the same as Windows 2000?

No, Windows ME and Windows 2000 are very different.

> Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
> installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?

Maybe, maybe not. Some software houses use an OS to create and test the
application, and don't test it under any other OS, which makes support
easier.

Probably not. "k has 'lots of stuff' that ME doesn't. If you have the
choice of ME or 2k, choose 2k.

Some of the problems may be subtle, does the software maker have a support
site for 'known problems' ?

(If you have the choice of ME or pushing rusty pins in your eyes choose the
rusty pins.)

rifleman

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
> installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?
>
> Thanks.

try here:

http://www.labmice.net/FAQ/win2000faq.htm

--
(I may be wrong...I usually am....)
Google is your Friend

paul s

fitwell wrote:

Nope they are totally different. ME is based on Win 9.x, a 16/32 bit OS,
32bit GUI/kernel/drivers running on a 16bit MS-DOS base. 2000 is based on
Win-NT, completely 32bit no MS-DOS.

> Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
> installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?

Some 'professional' apps do require a completely 32bit Win OS, i.e. NT,
2000, XP (Home and Pro), Server 2003.

--
Paul S

fitwell

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:42:46 GMT, paul s <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>paul s wrote:
>
>> fitwell wrote:
>>
>> Nope they are totally different. ME is based on Win 9.x, a 16/32 bit OS,
>> 32bit GUI/kernel/drivers running on a 16bit MS-DOS base. 2000 is based on
>> Win-NT, completely 32bit no MS-DOS.
>>
>>> Or, at the very least, will apps that have to have Windows 2000
>>> installed run in Windows ME if they're not the same thing?

>> Some 'professional' apps do require a completely 32bit Win OS, i.e. NT,
>> 2000, XP (Home and Pro), Server 2003.

>PS.
>
>ME was one of the most buggy, BSOD-prone versions of Win there was. 2000 is
>very reliable.

Thank you for everyone's response. I learned something else today.
<g>