Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Web page has altered my home page in IE 5.5

Harry the Horse

I went onto a web page last night and it has altered my home page in IE. I
went into tools/internet options to change it back but when I restarted IE
the home page had been changed back into the other web site. I am using an
uptodate mcafee virus scanner so I did a full scan of the hard disk but no
infection showed up.

Hopefully it is pretty simple to fix this annoying problem. Any assistance
greatly received.

TIA,
--
HtH

sleeper

Harry the Horse wrote:
:: I went onto a web page last night and it has altered my home page in
:: IE. I went into tools/internet options to change it back but when I
:: restarted IE the home page had been changed back into the other web
:: site. I am using an uptodate mcafee virus scanner so I did a full
:: scan of the hard disk but no infection showed up.
::
:: Hopefully it is pretty simple to fix this annoying problem. Any
:: assistance greatly received.
::
:: TIA,
:: --
:: HtH

Try Ad-aware 6.0. Sounds like you may have spyware installed.

°Mike°

Install and use:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://security.kolla.de/

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:04:38 GMT, in
<aLbPa.211122$(E-Mail Removed)>
Harry the Horse scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

sethra

"Harry the Horse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:aLbPa.211122$(E-Mail Removed):

> I went onto a web page last night and it has altered my home page in
> IE. I went into tools/internet options to change it back but when I
> restarted IE the home page had been changed back into the other web
> site. I am using an uptodate mcafee virus scanner so I did a full
> scan of the hard disk but no infection showed up.
>
> Hopefully it is pretty simple to fix this annoying problem. Any
> assistance greatly received.
>
> TIA,
> --
> HtH

Follow the anti-spyware suggestions in this thread, and to prevent it
from happening again, either surf with javascript/activeX OFF and put
sites that you *trust* and require javascript in your trusted zone with
custom settings, or run a local proxy like The Proxomitron or Privoxy to
filter the garbage out.

--
~sethra