Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with Win 98 setup recovery

Help with Win 98 setup recovery

wyndchsyr

I am attempting to reinstall Windows 98 on a friend's computer after they
reformated it. It will boot up with the 3.5 disk but will not read the CDROM
for some reason, and typing "setup" at the A prompt in DOS mode tells me
it's an invalid command or file name. Yet when I type DIR/p I can see the
setup command. What can I do to recover and install the Windows 98 on the
system?

I have AOL Instant Messenger Screen name :imiivnmylife
I also have MSN messenger Screen name: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Bruce T. Berger

Set the BIOS to boot to the CD. (No floppy required).
btb

"wyndchsyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I am attempting to reinstall Windows 98 on a friend's computer after they
> reformated it. It will boot up with the 3.5 disk but will not read the

CDROM
> for some reason, and typing "setup" at the A prompt in DOS mode tells me
> it's an invalid command or file name. Yet when I type DIR/p I can see the
> setup command. What can I do to recover and install the Windows 98 on the
> system?
>
> I have AOL Instant Messenger Screen name :imiivnmylife
> I also have MSN messenger Screen name: (E-Mail Removed)

philo

"wyndchsyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I am attempting to reinstall Windows 98 on a friend's computer after they
> reformated it. It will boot up with the 3.5 disk but will not read the

CDROM
> for some reason, and typing "setup" at the A prompt in DOS mode tells me
> it's an invalid command or file name. Yet when I type DIR/p I can see the
> setup command. What can I do to recover and install the Windows 98 on the
> system?

you can get a cd support boot floppy from
www.bootdisk.com

Arbo

It sounds like you have formated the HD but you did not use a win98 startup
disk. if you can boot from the CD then reformat the HD using fromat from the
CD all sould work.
If not nave a look at this link. http://www.t.thompson.dsl.pipex.com/p15.htm