Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Power or Win /DVD

Reply
Thread Tools

Power or Win /DVD

 
 
Hugh Sutherland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2003
WHich is the better program to use for DVD players, Power DVD or WINDVD?
Why won't Windows Media Player play DVD's?

Hugh


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Oxford Systems
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2003
"Hugh Sutherland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lvJOa.49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> WHich is the better program to use for DVD players, Power DVD or WINDVD?


I have bother PowerDVD and WinDVD. They both work fine. It's really just a
matter of personal preference.


> Why won't Windows Media Player play DVD's?


It will....once you have DVD software installed. Media Player does not ship
with the necessary CODECS to do DVD.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
db
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2003

"Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ttJOa.6939$(E-Mail Removed)...
> X-No-Archive: Yes
> In a desperate cry for help Hugh Sutherland said:
>
> > WHich is the better program to use for DVD players, Power DVD or WINDVD?
> > Why won't Windows Media Player play DVD's?
> >

>
> Maybe because WMP isn't written to play DVD's
>
> --
> www.absey-vine.co.uk/
> freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
>
>

My Windows Media Player plays DVDs, no problem.
I also use Power DVD.
db


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian H供
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2003
X-No-Archive: Yes
In a desperate cry for help db said:

> "Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ttJOa.6939$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> X-No-Archive: Yes
>> In a desperate cry for help Hugh Sutherland said:
>>
>>> WHich is the better program to use for DVD players, Power DVD or WINDVD?
>>> Why won't Windows Media Player play DVD's?
>>>

>>
>> Maybe because WMP isn't written to play DVD's
>>
>>

> My Windows Media Player plays DVDs, no problem.
> I also use Power DVD.
> db


Because you have DVD software and codecs, WMP doesn't include them as part of
it's install.

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian H供
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2003
X-No-Archive: Yes
In a desperate cry for help Brian H供 said:

> X-No-Archive: Yes
> In a desperate cry for help db said:
>
>> "Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ttJOa.6939$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> X-No-Archive: Yes
>>> In a desperate cry for help Hugh Sutherland said:
>>>
>>>> WHich is the better program to use for DVD players, Power DVD or WINDVD?
>>>> Why won't Windows Media Player play DVD's?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Maybe because WMP isn't written to play DVD's
>>>
>>>

>> My Windows Media Player plays DVDs, no problem.
>> I also use Power DVD.
>> db

>
> Because you have DVD software and codecs, WMP doesn't include them as part of
> it's install.


OK, I'll admit that I didn't type what I meant first time round.

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware


 
Reply With Quote
 
Hugh Sutherland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2003
what codecs do I need to get WMP to play DVD's?
You'd think Bill Gates would get on the ball about this............


Hugh
"Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SJJOa.6947$(E-Mail Removed)...
> X-No-Archive: Yes
> In a desperate cry for help db said:
>
> > "Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ttJOa.6939$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> X-No-Archive: Yes
> >> In a desperate cry for help Hugh Sutherland said:
> >>
> >>> WHich is the better program to use for DVD players, Power DVD or

WINDVD?
> >>> Why won't Windows Media Player play DVD's?
> >>>
> >>
> >> Maybe because WMP isn't written to play DVD's
> >>
> >>

> > My Windows Media Player plays DVDs, no problem.
> > I also use Power DVD.
> > db

>
> Because you have DVD software and codecs, WMP doesn't include them as part

of
> it's install.
>
> --
> www.absey-vine.co.uk/
> freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian H供
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2003
X-No-Archive: Yes
In a desperate cry for help Hugh Sutherland said:

> what codecs do I need to get WMP to play DVD's?
> You'd think Bill Gates would get on the ball about this............


What and get into another monopoly row again?

>
>
> Hugh
> "Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SJJOa.6947$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> X-No-Archive: Yes
>> In a desperate cry for help db said:
>>
>>> "Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ttJOa.6939$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> X-No-Archive: Yes
>>>> In a desperate cry for help Hugh Sutherland said:
>>>>
>>>>> WHich is the better program to use for DVD players, Power DVD or WINDVD?
>>>>> Why won't Windows Media Player play DVD's?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Maybe because WMP isn't written to play DVD's
>>>>
>>>>
>>> My Windows Media Player plays DVDs, no problem.
>>> I also use Power DVD.
>>> db

>>
>> Because you have DVD software and codecs, WMP doesn't include them as part of
>> it's install.
>>


--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Wade Phillips
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2003
Howdy!

"Hugh Sutherland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lvJOa.49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> WHich is the better program to use for DVD players, Power DVD or WINDVD?


My JVC DVD player.

Of the two choices, WinDVD does a bit smoother, but PowerDVD is
cheaper. And on today's hardware, you won't notice much, if any,
difference.

> Why won't Windows Media Player play DVD's?


Because "it was too expensive to include the licensing for the VOB
decryption algorithms within Windows Media Player, a free download." To
quote Microsoft.

RwP


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applet to run on Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Win Vista & Win 7 ?? Krist Java 6 05-06-2010 11:53 PM
High Power 560Watt Power Supply HPC-560-A12C @ ThinkComputers.org Silverstrand Front Page News 0 02-21-2006 10:25 PM
AOpen Prima Power AO700-12ALN 700W Power Supply Review Silverstrand Front Page News 5 08-29-2005 11:38 AM
HEC Ace Power 580UB 580Watt power supply Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-23-2005 03:04 PM
Looking for SATA power cable to IDE power cable adapter Jack B. Pollack Computer Support 3 02-12-2004 08:50 PM



Advertisments