Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't see my e:drive

Can't see my e:drive

jj

I am running win 98 se. My hard drive is c; my cd reader is d drive. My cdrw
is e drive.

I have had problems with a warning saying can't find cdsetup.exe at start up
and have deleted this from my win.ini file as suggested on a number of
posts. win.ini now just says load=

But now my computer can't see an e drive at all most of the time. It doesn't
show up on the
BIOS as the machine loads - it only mentions my c and d drives.

I've also looked for the cdrw (it is an internal acer) in device manager but
can't see it there either.

The cdrw is powered - it has a light on sometimes and more annoyingly is
whizzing around all the time the computer is running - but on the otherhand
I can't get the drawer to open!

Then maybe after a couple of days the e drive appears from no where. I can
see it in my computer and it works. Can't work out why it changes - really
random.

Please help.

Ian

Patch

"jj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bef6pd$4eqfh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running win 98 se. My hard drive is c; my cd reader is d drive. My

cdrw
> is e drive.
>
> I have had problems with a warning saying can't find cdsetup.exe at start

up
> and have deleted this from my win.ini file as suggested on a number of
> posts. win.ini now just says load=
>
> But now my computer can't see an e drive at all most of the time. It

doesn't
> show up on the
> BIOS as the machine loads - it only mentions my c and d drives.
>
> I've also looked for the cdrw (it is an internal acer) in device manager

but
> can't see it there either.
>
> The cdrw is powered - it has a light on sometimes and more annoyingly is
> whizzing around all the time the computer is running - but on the

otherhand
> I can't get the drawer to open!
>
> Then maybe after a couple of days the e drive appears from no where. I can
> see it in my computer and it works. Can't work out why it changes - really
> random.
>
> Please help.
>
> Ian
>

> I would start by checking the cables going to the CDR. In Bios, do you

show a device connected to this IDE port? It could be that the drive is
failing. Did it come with installation software? Maybe it needs to be
re-installed.

jj

I didn't quite ask same question. I added below the fact that the BIOS
doesn't show up the e drive on start up. Also the problem is now
intermittent. I had initially reposted this info to the board but as it
attached to a posting way down the list I didn't get an answer.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...