Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Home networking problem using ME, 98 and XP, please help!

Home networking problem using ME, 98 and XP, please help!

Adam Plotch

I'm running a network for 3 computers at home over a router. Each machine
has a different OS: 98, ME, and XP. All 3 are set for sharing all documents
and files.

From the XP machine, there's no problem viewing the files on the other two.
However, from the 98 and ME machines, I can't seem to access the files on
the XP machine properly. I was able to "Map Network Drive" for the 98 and ME
machines, so that on the 98 machine, the ME drive appears as the E:\ drive,
and vice versa: on the ME machine, the 98's drive appears as the E:\ drive
as well. But the only way I can access the XP's drive is by clicking on "My
Network Places" on the ME machine and then clicking "Entire Network". If I
do that, I can see the XP's drive, but only certian folders. And when I
right-click the icon for the XP machine, the option to "Map Network Drive"
is grayed out.

Is there any way that I can get the XP drive to appear as a drive on the ME
and 98 machines, the same way that I can view the contents of the ME as a
drive on the 98 and vice versa?

I hope that was clear...please email me or post here
((E-Mail Removed)) Thank you!

Ron Martell

"Adam Plotch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm running a network for 3 computers at home over a router. Each machine
>has a different OS: 98, ME, and XP. All 3 are set for sharing all documents
>and files.
>
>From the XP machine, there's no problem viewing the files on the other two.
>However, from the 98 and ME machines, I can't seem to access the files on
>the XP machine properly. I was able to "Map Network Drive" for the 98 and ME
>machines, so that on the 98 machine, the ME drive appears as the E:\ drive,
>and vice versa: on the ME machine, the 98's drive appears as the E:\ drive
>as well. But the only way I can access the XP's drive is by clicking on "My
>Network Places" on the ME machine and then clicking "Entire Network". If I
>do that, I can see the XP's drive, but only certian folders. And when I
>right-click the icon for the XP machine, the option to "Map Network Drive"
>is grayed out.
>
>Is there any way that I can get the XP drive to appear as a drive on the ME
>and 98 machines, the same way that I can view the contents of the ME as a
>drive on the 98 and vice versa?
>
>I hope that was clear...please email me or post here
>((E-Mail Removed)) Thank you!

Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network by MVP Steve Winograd:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...g/xp/addxp.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--