Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help - bad floppy - need info off of

Help - bad floppy - need info off of

Jim Kotsonas

Hey all,
Was working on a document when I had a computer glitch, which resutled in a
minor crash right as I was trying to save the doc to a floppy disc.

The doc is nowhere on the hard drive, and if I put the floppy in and click
on the "a" drive, it crashes and I have to go into Task manager and close
out explorer.

I tried putting the disc into a laptop, and when I click on "a" drive, it
asks me if I want to format the floppy.

Is there any way to extract (hopefully the doc is saved onto the floppy) the
info off of the floppy at this point?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Richard

"Jim Kotsonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OpqOa.64$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Hey all,
> Was working on a document when I had a computer glitch, which resutled in

> minor crash right as I was trying to save the doc to a floppy disc.
>
> The doc is nowhere on the hard drive, and if I put the floppy in and click
> on the "a" drive, it crashes and I have to go into Task manager and close
> out explorer.
>
> I tried putting the disc into a laptop, and when I click on "a" drive, it
> asks me if I want to format the floppy.
>
> Is there any way to extract (hopefully the doc is saved onto the floppy)

the
> info off of the floppy at this point?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim

Could try booting directly into DOS with a bootup disk.
at the command prompt enter in the abbreviated file name.
e.g. thisisalongfilename.doc would be translated to thisis~1.doc

A>> dir

Press enter and a directory listing appears.
Check to make sure the file got saved properly.
If not, check the available space, may not have the room.

A>> Edit thisis~1.doc {note: leave space after 'edit'}

This calls the dos editor and you can see the contents of the file.
To close out, press alt+f then x or click exit.
Now you can transfer the file to the hard drive if necessary.

MLFnet

"Jim Kotsonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:OpqOa.64$(E-Mail Removed). com:

> Hey all,
> Was working on a document when I had a computer glitch, which resutled
> in a minor crash right as I was trying to save the doc to a floppy
> disc.
>
> The doc is nowhere on the hard drive, and if I put the floppy in and
> click on the "a" drive, it crashes and I have to go into Task manager
> and close out explorer.
>
> I tried putting the disc into a laptop, and when I click on "a" drive,
> it asks me if I want to format the floppy.
>
> Is there any way to extract (hopefully the doc is saved onto the
> floppy) the info off of the floppy at this point?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim

Floppies are bad and should only be used as transport media (i.e. there
is still a copy of it on a HD somewhere and can be re-copied if the
floppy doesn't make it).

That being said you can find file repair utilites such as BadCopy Pro
(http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/) and GetDataBack for VFAT
(http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm).

I've personally only used the GetDataBack series of products and have
been able to pull data off of full formatted flash cards.

-=/ www.PC-Component.com /=-