Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > W2K Pro

W2K Pro

nunya

Ijust tried setting the boot to CD and placing the 2000 cd in the
cdrom and it passed the cd and floppy and went to the HD.

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:41:03 +0100, "ooyah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hello
>
>you mentioned swapping hard drives about earlier, check all the connections
>to the drives making sure no pins are bent or broken on them - can happen
>when pushing the ide cable in and out often
>
>regards
>
>"nunya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I can't get it to boot from cdrom. I did get the install started with
>> the boot disks. I get blue screen or it does not recognize the hard
>> drive.
>>

>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:25:51 -0400, Thund3rstruck
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >nunya rambled on about something in

>> > Hey Nunya. Odd running into you here. <G>
>> >
>> > Anywho, what you might have to do is run a rebuild on it from the
>> >original 2000 pro cdrom.
>> >
>> > To do this, just boot up on the cdrom, and when it asks if it's a
>> >new install, or repair an existing, choose the latter...
>> >
>> > It'll ask if you have an ERD (Emergency Recovery Disk), and if you
>> >do, insert it when it asks for it. If not, no biggie. You just might
>> >need to reinstall a few programs..but all your data should be there.
>> >
>> > HTH, and catch you in aacf/aadt later...
>> >
>> > NOI

nunya

I got to the c prompt and tried to goto d:\ "Invalid drive
specification"

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:41:03 +0100, "ooyah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hello
>
>you mentioned swapping hard drives about earlier, check all the connections
>to the drives making sure no pins are bent or broken on them - can happen
>when pushing the ide cable in and out often
>
>regards
>
>"nunya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I can't get it to boot from cdrom. I did get the install started with
>> the boot disks. I get blue screen or it does not recognize the hard
>> drive.
>>

>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:25:51 -0400, Thund3rstruck
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >nunya rambled on about something in

>> > Hey Nunya. Odd running into you here. <G>
>> >
>> > Anywho, what you might have to do is run a rebuild on it from the
>> >original 2000 pro cdrom.
>> >
>> > To do this, just boot up on the cdrom, and when it asks if it's a
>> >new install, or repair an existing, choose the latter...
>> >
>> > It'll ask if you have an ERD (Emergency Recovery Disk), and if you
>> >do, insert it when it asks for it. If not, no biggie. You just might
>> >need to reinstall a few programs..but all your data should be there.
>> >
>> > HTH, and catch you in aacf/aadt later...
>> >
>> > NOI

Thund3rstruck

<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> I got the PC from Dell. It originally had 98 a few years ago I
> updated it to 2000.

OK. You still have that 2000 pro update cd?

If so, the recovery choice should work fine for you.

Thund3rstruck

<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> how do I get to recovery mode?
>

> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:35:44 -0400, Thund3rstruck
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>nunya rambled on about something in
>><(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>>> I got the PC from Dell. It originally had 98 a few years ago I
>>> updated it to 2000.

>> OK. You still have that 2000 pro update cd?
>>
>> If so, the recovery choice should work fine for you.

Simple.

Boot to the cdrom. When it comes up, you will have a few options.
One will be a fresh install. One will be recovery, and the third will
be recovery console.

You want just the plain recovery mode.

Personally, I would make 100% sure that both harddisks are seen by
the cmos before you get to that point. On some Dells, if you hit the
esc key when the dell screen comes up, you can see a hardware summary
screen.If not, go into the cmos and make sure it sees both harddisks.

NOI

nunya

I get install , repair or quit

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:15:02 -0400, Thund3rstruck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>nunya rambled on about something in
><(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> how do I get to recovery mode?
>>

>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:35:44 -0400, Thund3rstruck
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>nunya rambled on about something in

>>> OK. You still have that 2000 pro update cd?
>>>
>>> If so, the recovery choice should work fine for you.

> Simple.
>
> Boot to the cdrom. When it comes up, you will have a few options.
>One will be a fresh install. One will be recovery, and the third will
>be recovery console.
>
> You want just the plain recovery mode.
>
> Personally, I would make 100% sure that both harddisks are seen by
>the cmos before you get to that point. On some Dells, if you hit the
>esc key when the dell screen comes up, you can see a hardware summary
>screen.If not, go into the cmos and make sure it sees both harddisks.
>
> NOI

ooyah

hello

repair > then choose which installation to repair > then hope its worked

regards

"nunya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I get install , repair or quit
>

> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:15:02 -0400, Thund3rstruck
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >nunya rambled on about something in
> ><(E-Mail Removed)>:
> >
> >> how do I get to recovery mode?

> > Simple.
> >
> > Boot to the cdrom. When it comes up, you will have a few options.
> >One will be a fresh install. One will be recovery, and the third will
> >be recovery console.
> >
> > You want just the plain recovery mode.
> >
> > Personally, I would make 100% sure that both harddisks are seen by
> >the cmos before you get to that point. On some Dells, if you hit the
> >esc key when the dell screen comes up, you can see a hardware summary
> >screen.If not, go into the cmos and make sure it sees both harddisks.
> >
> > NOI

nunya

"operating system not found"

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 02:34:52 +0100, "ooyah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hello
>
>repair > then choose which installation to repair > then hope its worked
>
>regards
>
>"nunya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I get install , repair or quit
>>

>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:15:02 -0400, Thund3rstruck
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >nunya rambled on about something in

>> > Simple.
>> >
>> > Boot to the cdrom. When it comes up, you will have a few options.
>> >One will be a fresh install. One will be recovery, and the third will
>> >be recovery console.
>> >
>> > You want just the plain recovery mode.
>> >
>> > Personally, I would make 100% sure that both harddisks are seen by
>> >the cmos before you get to that point. On some Dells, if you hit the
>> >esc key when the dell screen comes up, you can see a hardware summary
>> >screen.If not, go into the cmos and make sure it sees both harddisks.
>> >
>> > NOI

Mara

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:26:47 GMT, nunya wrote:

>I get install , repair or quit

Choose repair.

<snip>

--
"I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
-- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000

ooyah

hello

ah, not good - reinstall as suggested before maybe

regards

"nunya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "operating system not found"
>

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 02:34:52 +0100, "ooyah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >hello
> >
> >repair > then choose which installation to repair > then hope its worked
> >
> >regards
> >
> >"nunya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> I get install , repair or quit

Mara

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:45:29 GMT, nunya wrote:

>"operating system not found"

Check the cable connections to your hard drive, and your BIOS settings.

<snip>