Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newsgroup Problem

Newsgroup Problem

Hayes

I just recently changed ISPs from Roadrunner to Earthlink. Both are
broadband cable connections. I used Outlook Express to read newsgroups
while I was a Roadrunner user. The download speed of the messages was very
fast. I have just setup OE to use the Earthlink newsgroup server, and the
downloading of messages is very slow. I'm in the Houston area and both
Earthlink and Roadrunner go through Time-Warner. Any ideas what is causing
this slowdown?

TIA

Jimchip

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:06:01 GMT, Hayes wrote:
> I just recently changed ISPs from Roadrunner to Earthlink. Both are
> broadband cable connections. I used Outlook Express to read newsgroups
> while I was a Roadrunner user. The download speed of the messages was very
> fast. I have just setup OE to use the Earthlink newsgroup server, and the
> downloading of messages is very slow. I'm in the Houston area and both
> Earthlink and Roadrunner go through Time-Warner. Any ideas what is causing
> this slowdown?

Earthlink's news servers are pretty slow. They are currently testing
a new farm configuration (newstest2.earthlink.net) that people claim is
much faster but also it apparently crashes a lot. YMMV.

(lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

Hayes

"Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:06:01 GMT, Hayes wrote:
> > I just recently changed ISPs from Roadrunner to Earthlink. Both are
> > broadband cable connections. I used Outlook Express to read newsgroups
> > while I was a Roadrunner user. The download speed of the messages was

very
> > fast. I have just setup OE to use the Earthlink newsgroup server, and

the
> > downloading of messages is very slow. I'm in the Houston area and both
> > Earthlink and Roadrunner go through Time-Warner. Any ideas what is

causing
> > this slowdown?

> Earthlink's news servers are pretty slow. They are currently testing
> a new farm configuration (newstest2.earthlink.net) that people claim is
> much faster but also it apparently crashes a lot. YMMV.
>
> --
> Anyone outside my light-cone is dead to me. That's just a rule I have.
> (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

Any idea how I can use the configuration you mentioned?

Jimchip

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:40:36 GMT, Hayes wrote:

> "Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:06:01 GMT, Hayes wrote:
>> > I just recently changed ISPs from Roadrunner to Earthlink. Both are
>> > broadband cable connections. I used Outlook Express to read newsgroups
>> > while I was a Roadrunner user. The download speed of the messages was

> very
>> > fast. I have just setup OE to use the Earthlink newsgroup server, and

> the
>> > downloading of messages is very slow. I'm in the Houston area and both
>> > Earthlink and Roadrunner go through Time-Warner. Any ideas what is

> causing
>> > this slowdown?

>> Earthlink's news servers are pretty slow. They are currently testing
>> a new farm configuration (newstest2.earthlink.net) that people claim is
>> much faster but also it apparently crashes a lot. YMMV.

> Any idea how I can use the configuration you mentioned?

I think it would be to set your server to newstest2.earthlink.net. The
server requires authetication: Username is your email address. Password
is your email password.

You might want to subscribe to earthlink.support.usenet and
earthlink.support.usenet.newstest2.

(lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)