Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: DVD-ROM drive freezes Win98SE

Re: DVD-ROM drive freezes Win98SE

Shepİ

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:19:49 +1000, In this world we created Stephen
Davidson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>G'day All!
>
>My problem,
>I've just recently installed a LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM drive replacing an
>AOpen 52X CDROM drive (which worked fine and caused no problems). Now
>whenever I put a CDROM disk into the DVD drive in Win98SE, it freezes
>the computer stone cold. I can't eject the CDROM and I have to reboot
>the puter.
>
>The DVD drive works fine under Win2000 or Red Hat Linux 8.0.
>
>I have a tri boot system in the following order -
>1. Win98se (my main OS used)
>2. Win 2000 with SP3
>3. Red Hat Linux 8.0
>
>all in separate partitions using an AMD K6-2-550MHz CPU, FIC VA-503+
>Motherboard with 320Mb SDRAM, Quantum 40Gb and 3.2 Gb HDD's and LS120
>3.5" superdrive.
>
>I've tried turning autorun off on the DVD drive and when a CD is put in
>the DVD drive, the puter won't freeze. However when I try to access the
>CD the puter will freeze completely (I can eject the CD however).
>I've tried removing the DVD drive in the Device Manager (which reappears
>on the next bootup) but gives the same freezing problems as above.
>I've had a look around the Microsoft Knowledge Base but there doesn't
>appear to be anything in it about this problem.
>I've booted with a Win98SE boot disk with CD drivers and I can access
>the CD's no probs.
>The DVD drive looks like it has the latest firware (CH11). The boot
>screen and device manager identify the DVD drive as JLMS XJ-HD165H.
>I've had a look around the LiteOn site but the FAQ/Problems sections
>don't have anything on this.
>It doesn't look like the drive is a dud, but it looks like it's a
>software/driver issue with Win98SE for some dumb reason.
>
>I've run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest what to try, or how to fix the
>freezing problem?
>
>Many thanks in advance!!
>
>Davo esq

G'day

Boot to Safemode and remove,"ALL" device entries under the Cdrom
section in the Device Manager and re-boot to let windows re-install
the drivers.
Click here for why,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
check for compatibility mode as well,