Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Old guy, new computer

Old guy, new computer

Reggie

My 84-year old father has just bought a new Windows XP computer and we
are wondering if I can migrate his old files (we know most programs
will now work with XP) to the new computer using the serial port as
his Win98 computer would.

Should we try to use the programs he used most often with Win98 if we
can find new drivers for XP?

Reggie

BananaPannaPoe

Your best bet is to do a new install onto the new computer with the original
program installation disks and not try to copy stuff from the old drive. Any
saved data you have on the old computer like Quicken data files or saved
games can be transferred via floppy.

"Reggie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My 84-year old father has just bought a new Windows XP computer and we
> are wondering if I can migrate his old files (we know most programs
> will now work with XP) to the new computer using the serial port as
> his Win98 computer would.
>
> Should we try to use the programs he used most often with Win98 if we
> can find new drivers for XP?
>
> Reggie

riz

Your dad's my hero!

Reggie wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>My 84-year old father has just bought a new Windows XP computer

snip

How to transfer programs and files of old computer to new computer? alan Computer Support 5 10-13-2008 01:35 PM
So you think PythonCard is old? Here's new wine in an old bottle. John Henry Python 24 05-30-2008 12:00 AM
Old computer to new computer naguaramipana Computer Support 10 01-18-2008 04:21 AM
transfer of contents of HD in old computer to HD in new computer jim fisher Computer Support 3 08-05-2007 11:34 AM
new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM

Advertisments