Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > In a LAN situation, Is there any point in having Norton Internet Security on other than the PC directly connected to the Net?

In a LAN situation, Is there any point in having Norton Internet Security on other than the PC directly connected to the Net?

Jimmy Dean

I suspect not, but is there any official word on this from Symantec?

thanx
jd

Gravel Rash

"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I suspect not, but is there any official word on this from Symantec?
>
> thanx
> jd

Provided your using the first PC as a gateway using Internet Connection
Sharing or similar software, then no, you need not install firewall software
on any PC except the one directly connected to the net.

P.S. That's some subject line.

rifleman

> "Gravel Rash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f096f70$0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I suspect not, but is there any official word on this from Symantec?
> > >
> > > thanx
> > > jd

> > Provided your using the first PC as a gateway using Internet Connection
> > Sharing or similar software, then no, you need not install firewall

> software
> > on any PC except the one directly connected to the net.
> >
> > P.S. That's some subject line.
> >

> I have one PC connected to the internet and the second one network to that
> with internet share enabled and only had a firewall installed on the
> internet connected computer. I was using Norton firewall and on the second
> computer I installed a programme that required internet access the programme
> connected to the internet without the firewall blocking it. I now have
> installed a firewall on my second computer. If you only need a firewall on
> the first computer how did this programme connect to the internet without
> needing to give permission from the firewall?.
>
> Martin

Because you obviously had given previous permission for any outgoing
traffic from that IP address to be allowed. Otherwise why have ICS? The
point of a firewall is NOT to prevent programs YOU have installed from
making an outbound connection, but to prevent outsiders from making
INBOUND connections to your network. Also, if you are making a
connection OUT with a program YOU have installed, then should you be
worried?
--
(I may be wrong...I usually am....)
Google is your Friend

Jimmy Dean

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:04:16 +1000, "Gravel Rash" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I suspect not, but is there any official word on this from Symantec?
>>
>> thanx
>> jd

>Provided your using the first PC as a gateway using Internet Connection
>Sharing or similar software, then no, you need not install firewall software
>on any PC except the one directly connected to the net.
>
>P.S. That's some subject line.

Why I specified NIS in particular is that as well as being a firewall
and blocking unwanted Internet intrusion, it offers privacy control,
spam alert, ad blocking and parental control.

I am 99 % sure these are only effective on the gateway PC, but I have
had my LAN set up so long with NIS on each PC I am reluctant to
abandon this procedure without firm guarantees I am not compromising
my security.

Paranoia rules!

jd