Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with temporary internet files?

Help with temporary internet files?

gita lal

Config:
XP Pro
2 users, I am admin
IE 6

Main drive is c:\
I have my "dump" drive set to e:\ - this is where I put stuff I've
downloaded, 'til I get to it later to sort thru it.

When I click on a file in IE, it is downloaded to some temporary
location. This is really only noticeable with large files, when I see
them being moved to my designated directory after the download is
complete.

The problem is that the move takes forever, if it's a large file. I
thought this extra step was unnecessary, so what I did was to go into
Control Panel > Internet Options and change the settings for the
Temporary Internet Files location so that they were stored on E:\. I
thought that was the directory to which files were temporarily
downloaded. I was wrong. Files are still being stored somewhere and
being moved to e:\ after the download is complete. Anyone know where
that "somewhere" is, and if the location can be changed?

Thanks!
..g

* drop your pants to reply via e-mail

Phil L. B.

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:04:05 -0400, gita lal
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Config:
>XP Pro
>2 users, I am admin
>IE 6
>
>Main drive is c:\
>I have my "dump" drive set to e:\ - this is where I put stuff I've
>downloaded, 'til I get to it later to sort thru it.
>
>When I click on a file in IE, it is downloaded to some temporary
>location. This is really only noticeable with large files, when I see
>them being moved to my designated directory after the download is
>complete.
>
>The problem is that the move takes forever, if it's a large file. I
>thought this extra step was unnecessary, so what I did was to go into
>Control Panel > Internet Options and change the settings for the
>Temporary Internet Files location so that they were stored on E:\. I
>thought that was the directory to which files were temporarily
>downloaded. I was wrong. Files are still being stored somewhere and
>being moved to e:\ after the download is complete. Anyone know where
>that "somewhere" is, and if the location can be changed?
>
>Thanks!
>.g
>
>* drop your pants to reply via e-mail

Location is in a hidden system folder, you need to turn off the hide
system folders option (Tools\Folder Options), go to C:\Documents and
Settings\{USER for each user}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.
Now good luck in setting the new location.

gita lal

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:35:19 -0700, Phil L. B. <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Location is in a hidden system folder, you need to turn off the hide
>system folders option (Tools\Folder Options), go to C:\Documents and
>Settings\{USER for each user}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.
>Now good luck in setting the new location.

Thanks for your response, Phil. This was the first thing I tried;
unfortunately, it didn't work. The files did not download to the new
location. Explorer is configured to display hidden files/folders.