Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pop-ups are killing me

Pop-ups are killing me

Jerry

Using Dell Dimension, with Windows XP home edition:

I Have acquired a several persistant pop up windows that I cannot remove.
It takes me to
the window whenever I go to certain URL's and keeps popping up. When I
close it
after several times it takes me out of Internet Explorer.

One window is: http://www.lastxdoor.com/freepics.html.

I have turned off active scripting and Messenger Service.
I have run both ad-aware and Spyware.bot, which turned up some 280 spyware
files,
but didn't find the ones to which I am referring.

I have tried Backweb, POW, and about every other pop up killer I could find
and none of them work.

I have gone through run>msconfig and deleted all references to this URL,
as well as regedit. However, after I delete them, they re-write themselves
and the pop up continues.

When I called Dell technical support they said the only other option is
to reformat my hard drive. I believe there must be a better way.

Any ideas?

Thanks, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Mara

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:45:26 GMT, Jerry wrote:

>Using Dell Dimension, with Windows XP home edition:
>
>I Have acquired a several persistant pop up windows that I cannot remove.
>It takes me to
>the window whenever I go to certain URL's and keeps popping up. When I
>close it
>after several times it takes me out of Internet Explorer.
>
>One window is: http://www.lastxdoor.com/freepics.html.
>
>I have turned off active scripting and Messenger Service.
>I have run both ad-aware and Spyware.bot, which turned up some 280 spyware
>files,
>but didn't find the ones to which I am referring.
>
>I have tried Backweb, POW, and about every other pop up killer I could find
>and none of them work.
>
>I have gone through run>msconfig and deleted all references to this URL,
>as well as regedit. However, after I delete them, they re-write themselves
>and the pop up continues.
>
>When I called Dell technical support they said the only other option is
>to reformat my hard drive. I believe there must be a better way.
>
>Any ideas?

Try running a couple of decent, updated Antivirus programs. As in, more than
one. Also, as in: not Norton or McAfee. Here's one online:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

There are malware programs (Trojans, worms, etc.) that will specifically hijack
your browser to porn sites, and which will run in startup, so that even if you
think you're removed them, they run again each time you reboot or start up.

--
"I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
-- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000

Steve

> Try running a couple of decent, updated Antivirus programs. As in, more

than
> one. Also, as in: not Norton or McAfee.

What's wrong with Norton. OK I haven't got time to read all the reviews, but
a couple I've just read seem pretty good.

Miggsee

news:be6dmf$bpm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Try running a couple of decent, updated Antivirus programs. As in, more

> than
> > one. Also, as in: not Norton or McAfee.
> >

> What's wrong with Norton. OK I haven't got time to read all the reviews,

but
> a couple I've just read seem pretty good.

Norton controls too much of your PC. It's bloatware. Take a look at all the
problems it causes in Windows. http://tinyurl.com/g31t

Brian H

Errrrr...erm... I am said:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:51:21 +0100, "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>> When I called Dell technical support they said the only other option is
>>> to reformat my hard drive. I believe there must be a better way.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> I believe you should be looking under browser hijacked, and tell the guy at
>> Dell to apply for a job at McDonalds.
>> Technical support my arse.

> Since most of Dell's Tech support is reported to be located in India I
> don't thing there is a McDonalds option.

LOL, do you want popadoms with that?

--
www.absey-vine.co.uk/
freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

BananaPannaPoe

They do have McDonalds in india along with Coke and Exxon.

"I am" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:51:21 +0100, "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >> When I called Dell technical support they said the only other option is
> >> to reformat my hard drive. I believe there must be a better way.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>

> >I believe you should be looking under browser hijacked, and tell the guy

at Dell
> >to apply for a job at McDonalds.
> >Technical support my arse.

> Since most of Dell's Tech support is reported to be located in India I
> don't thing there is a McDonalds option.

yugsdrawkcab

Mara wrote:

> Try ignoring a couple of idiots, Jimchip and I. As in, more than
> one idiot. Also, as in: not decent people who post here. Here we are online:
>
> http://jimchip.mara.com/housecall/naughty_pics.asp
>
> There are malware users (Jimchip, myself, etc.) that will specifically hijack
> threads and porn sites, and who will run our mouths steadily, so that even if you
> think you're ignoring us, we run our mouths again each time you post or reply.

yugsdrawkcab

Miggsee wrote:

> Norton controls too much of your PC. It's bloatware. Take a look at all the
> problems it causes in Windows. http://tinyurl.com/g31t

Did you even look at the search results? Many references to Win 3.1, Win
95, NT 4.. And many of the solutions are to upgrade to the proper version.

And Norton does not control your PC at all.

You have been brainwashed...

Miggsee

"yugsdrawkcab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nxANa.361314$(E-Mail Removed) a...

> Miggsee wrote:
>

> > Norton controls too much of your PC. It's bloatware. Take a look at all

the
> > problems it causes in Windows. http://tinyurl.com/g31t
> >

> Did you even look at the search results? Many references to Win 3.1, Win
> 95, NT 4.. And many of the solutions are to upgrade to the proper version.

Yup, upgrade and pay Norton. That's a LONG list of problems, and a long
history that extends back in time.

> And Norton does not control your PC at all.
>
> You have been brainwashed...

Nope, I've tried Norton. It's a system hog, and slows down a machine.

Jimchip

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:00:29 -0400, Miggsee wrote:
> "yugsdrawkcab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nxANa.361314$(E-Mail Removed) a...
>>
>> Miggsee wrote:
>>

>> > Norton controls too much of your PC. It's bloatware. Take a look at all

> the
>> > problems it causes in Windows. http://tinyurl.com/g31t
>> >

>> Did you even look at the search results? Many references to Win 3.1, Win
>> 95, NT 4.. And many of the solutions are to upgrade to the proper version.

> Yup, upgrade and pay Norton. That's a LONG list of problems, and a long
> history that extends back in time.
>
>> And Norton does not control your PC at all.
>>
>> You have been brainwashed...

> Nope, I've tried Norton. It's a system hog, and slows down a machine.

"yugsdrawkcab" is somewhat deficient in his knowledge of these matters.
Come to think of it, "yugsdrawkcab" is somewhat deficient in his knowledge
of all matters.

--
He also has 'deep seeded' problems

Killing The "Double Download" Box--Need Help Please Ducati@Darmah.net Firefox 2 05-05-2005 12:29 AM
Killing NAT translations. AM Cisco 3 02-03-2005 11:43 PM
Killing processes in CatOS Arnold Nipper Cisco 0 01-12-2005 05:33 PM
killing a lingering VPN connection Eric Sabine Cisco 0 06-03-2004 03:04 PM
I'm an idiot... 70-294 is killing me =?Utf-8?B?TGFuZGhv?= MCSE 1 05-01-2004 12:13 AM

Advertisments