Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New to Windoze XP

New to Windoze XP

whoamI

I just clean-installed Windoze XP on an AMD/Athlon 2.2G
machine that I was sold on having a Bad-a-s graphics processor(Nvidia
N-Force 2 chipset), blah, blah, blah.

ISSUE 1! I can't get Windows Media Player to go Full-screen. The
other players do it fine, and the latest Winamp plays video, so I can
at least still play my MPEGS, but it is annoying that Media Player
won't do under XP what it did in 98.

ISSUE 2! eversince I first installed XP, I have gotten this message
that looks like an MSN message, but is an ad for a pop-up-blocking
service. It looks just like an MSN message, but I made sure that MSN
was turned off. I then D/L'd Ad-Aware, then scanned my machine, which
got rid of 10 items (and the machine was only 4 hours old... scary)
Sure enough, the message came back. Anyone have any experience with
this?

It just happened again. It is an ad for MessageBuster.com. I
cannot see any other programs running, is there a way to see all the
things running on my computer at any given time?any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks

Unk

Mcploppy © answered part 2, and here are some additional links for that.
http://www.clankiller.com/tech/WinXP/misctweaks.php
http://www.lantalk.net/disable_messenger.php
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

"Shoot The Messenger" utility for Windows NT/2000/XP
http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

Disable/Enable/Remove Windows Messenger in XP

As for the Windows Media Player problem:
Uninstall it from the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, and reinstall WMP.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp

Unk