Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recovering Undeleted Files

Recovering Undeleted Files

John Fitzpatrick

My computer recently crashed losing a lot of important DV footage. I am
using Easy recovery pro to get the files that I want. The setup is one large
60gb partition NTFS and a 2nd HD of 7gb FAT32. As some of the files are over
4GB they won't go to the fat32 drive but recovery doesn't allow it to be
copied to the source drive. Would another partition on the 60gb drive help
this? I tried typing subst a: c:\temp so that I can copy to the same drive
but this doesn't seem to work in XP any idea why not.

I don't want to start putting more stuff onto computer in case I overwrite
the sectors containing these files.

Cheers
John

°Mike°

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:40:35 +0100, in
<_7pNa.3966$(E-Mail Removed)>
John Fitzpatrick scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:53:34 +0100, in
>> <pHmNa.2732$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> John Fitzpatrick scrawled:
>>
>> >My computer recently crashed losing a lot of important DV
>> >footage. I am using Easy recovery pro to get the files that
>> >I want. The setup is one large 60gb partition NTFS and a 2nd
>> >HD of 7gb FAT32. As some of the files are over 4GB they won't
>> >go to the fat32 drive but recovery doesn't allow it to be
>> >copied to the source drive.

>> That's because you could overwrite the very information you are
>> trying to recover!
>>
>> >Would another partition on the 60gb drive help this?

>> No. See the comment above.
>>
>> >I tried typing subst a: c:\temp so that I can copy to the same
>> >drive but this doesn't seem to work in XP any idea why not.

>> NEVER try to recover data to the same drive. See above.
>>
>> >I don't want to start putting more stuff onto computer in case
>> >I overwrite the sectors containing these files.

>> ANY use of the drive containing the data increases the risk of
>> you losing what you are trying to recover. See above.
>>
>> >Cheers
>> >John
>> >

>I see exactly what you are saying, but is there anyway around
>this.
>
>I have around 2GB of data on the 7GB drive, if I convert this
>to NTFS will I still keep the existing data?
>
>Is there anywayt to retrieve the files and link them together
>i.e 2x5GB instead of 1x10GB
>
>Cheers
>John

You can't recover to a drive that is smaller than the data you are
recovering. If the data is really important, consider purchasing
a larger drive - it will come in handy for backup purposes, too.

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

John Fitzpatrick

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:40:35 +0100, in
> <_7pNa.3966$(E-Mail Removed)>
> John Fitzpatrick scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:53:34 +0100, in
> >> <pHmNa.2732$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> John Fitzpatrick scrawled:

> >> That's because you could overwrite the very information you are
> >> trying to recover!

> >> No. See the comment above.

> >> NEVER try to recover data to the same drive. See above.

> >> ANY use of the drive containing the data increases the risk of
> >> you losing what you are trying to recover. See above.

> >I see exactly what you are saying, but is there anyway around
> >this.
> >
> >I have around 2GB of data on the 7GB drive, if I convert this
> >to NTFS will I still keep the existing data?
> >
> >Is there anywayt to retrieve the files and link them together
> >i.e 2x5GB instead of 1x10GB
> >
> >Cheers
> >John

> You can't recover to a drive that is smaller than the data you are
> recovering. If the data is really important, consider purchasing
> a larger drive - it will come in handy for backup purposes, too.
>
> --
>Which is exactly why I kept the 7GB but obviously it isn't big enough.

I think I still have the original tapes but it is just a hassle to resample
them.

Thanks anyway

John

°Mike°

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:18:45 +0100, in
<LJwNa.4119$(E-Mail Removed)>
John Fitzpatrick scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:40:35 +0100, in
>> <_7pNa.3966$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> John Fitzpatrick scrawled:
>>

>> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >I see exactly what you are saying, but is there anyway around
>> >this.
>> >
>> >I have around 2GB of data on the 7GB drive, if I convert this
>> >to NTFS will I still keep the existing data?
>> >
>> >Is there anywayt to retrieve the files and link them together
>> >i.e 2x5GB instead of 1x10GB
>> >
>> >Cheers
>> >John

>> You can't recover to a drive that is smaller than the data you are
>> recovering. If the data is really important, consider purchasing
>> a larger drive - it will come in handy for backup purposes, too.
>>
>> --
>>Which is exactly why I kept the 7GB but obviously it isn't big enough.

>I think I still have the original tapes but it is just a hassle to resample
>them.
>
>Thanks anyway
>
>John

Ok, good luck.