Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Scheduled tasks in XP

Scheduled tasks in XP

fm

Can anyone give me any advise on the use of the "Scheduled Tasks" program in
XP Home edition?

It looks easy enough according to the instructions but it never works as it
should. It does work for Norton Anti Virus and Symantec Net Detect but they
are the only programs that do work and they were entered by the program
itself without my ever having to open Scheduled Tasks.

Here is what I have done:

After opening the Scheduled Tasks program I click on "Add Scheduled Task"
and from the list presented I click on the desired program, click "Next",
click "Every Day", click "Next", set the time (to test I set it 2 min. in
the future), click "Next", enter a password (which I make up on the spot),
click "Next", click "Open advanced properties for this task when I click
Finish", click "Finish", click on "Set Password", enter password, click
"OK", click "Apply".

Then I sit back and wait for the program to open. When the preset time comes
I get the message that I used the incorrect User Name or Password. The User
Name had been already entered and it was the same as the one used for the
virus programs which was the same as assigned to the computer when I first
used it. As I am the only user I never assigned a password to the computer.
Could that be the problem?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

--
fm

trout

fm wrote:

> Can anyone give me any advise on the use of the "Scheduled Tasks"
> program in XP Home edition?
>
> It looks easy enough according to the instructions but it never works
> as it should. It does work for Norton Anti Virus and Symantec Net
> Detect but they are the only programs that do work and they were
> entered by the program itself without my ever having to open
> Scheduled Tasks.
>
> Here is what I have done:
>
> After opening the Scheduled Tasks program I click on "Add Scheduled
> Task" and from the list presented I click on the desired program,
> click "Next", click "Every Day", click "Next", set the time (to test
> I set it 2 min. in the future), click "Next", enter a password (which
> I make up on the spot), click "Next", click "Open advanced properties
> for this task when I click Finish", click "Finish", click on "Set
> Password", enter password, click "OK", click "Apply".
>
> Then I sit back and wait for the program to open. When the preset
> time comes I get the message that I used the incorrect User Name or
> Password. The User Name had been already entered and it was the same
> as the one used for the virus programs which was the same as assigned
> to the computer when I first used it. As I am the only user I never
> assigned a password to the computer. Could that be the problem?
>
> Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

It *seems* as though it's the password that's making the program
think you're in the wrong profile.
Did you try leaving the password blank?
--
"Seems the logical next step, no?"

fm

news:be31d9$mde6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> fm wrote:
>
> > Can anyone give me any advise on the use of the "Scheduled Tasks"
> > program in XP Home edition?
> >
> > It looks easy enough according to the instructions but it never works
> > as it should. It does work for Norton Anti Virus and Symantec Net
> > Detect but they are the only programs that do work and they were
> > entered by the program itself without my ever having to open
> > Scheduled Tasks.
> >
> > Here is what I have done:
> >
> > After opening the Scheduled Tasks program I click on "Add Scheduled
> > Task" and from the list presented I click on the desired program,
> > click "Next", click "Every Day", click "Next", set the time (to test
> > I set it 2 min. in the future), click "Next", enter a password (which
> > I make up on the spot), click "Next", click "Open advanced properties
> > for this task when I click Finish", click "Finish", click on "Set
> > Password", enter password, click "OK", click "Apply".
> >
> > Then I sit back and wait for the program to open. When the preset
> > time comes I get the message that I used the incorrect User Name or
> > Password. The User Name had been already entered and it was the same
> > as the one used for the virus programs which was the same as assigned
> > to the computer when I first used it. As I am the only user I never
> > assigned a password to the computer. Could that be the problem?
> >
> > Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

> It *seems* as though it's the password that's making the program
> think you're in the wrong profile.
> Did you try leaving the password blank?
> --
> "Seems the logical next step, no?"